crazy and criminals

John's POV

Mycroft's words ring in my head. Lost in my own thoughts I hardly even notice that he is about to leave the room. "I have some important phone  calls to make John. I trust that you will take care of him in my absence?" Was this a question that really needed answering? Of course I was going to bloody look after him. He continued, "I will be back tomorrow morning, until then" I nodded as he walked head down out of the flat.

I sit in silence, still trying to comprehend what I have just heard. Distantly I hear painful moans emerge from the bedroom. I spring up out of my chair and move swiftly over to Sherlock. He lay in agony as he tried to face me. I sat at his side and placed my hand on his shoulder but quickly revoking the action. "You heard all of that didn't you?" He smirked and tried to sit up, but as he moans in pain I automatically reach out to assist him. "Sherlock, why didn't you tell me-" He interrupts me sharply, his smirk replaced by a scarring seriousness. "Tell you what? That I 'lost my marbles'? That I'm insane? That I'm just as crazy as the criminals that we catch?" I look down and sigh, in a small yet agitated voice I quietly state "You're not crazy Sherlock." To which he replies, "Then what am I?".

Lost in the moment I hardly even notice my phone buzzing on the table from across the room. He gestures toward the phone as I slowly lift myself from my chair. Shit. 5 missed calls from Mary. I knew there was something I had forgotten. I was supposed to be back for 5, Mary's friends were coming over for dinner. I sigh and prepare myself for a bollocking. I answer cautiously as I leave the room. "John, where are you? I thought you said you were just popping in for a quick visit, it's been 3 hours?" I try to speak but the words fail me. How do I explain to my wife that my best friend is mentally ill? I can't even comprehend it myself. It's hard to think of him in so much pain. "Sherlock is ill, I'm sorry but I have to stay. He needs a friend" "Ill? What do you mean? The worst thing Sherlock's ever got is a god damn cold" She laughed and for a moment I laughed to, but the seriousness of the situation still rang true in my heart. "Mentally. He-he's had some sort of a.. um.. breakdown, I need to stay with him.." She paused and their was a piercing silence. "God.. of of course, y-yeah, you stay with him, he needs you John." There is a touch of panic to her voice, I think she knows deep down how much he means to me, and to herself. "I'll cancel the dinner, and for the time being you're moving back into Baker Street. I'll bring you some clothes round" "It's alright I've got clothes here." "Okay, I'll be round first thing tomorrow?" "Yeah, see you then, Bye" "Bye".