Chapter 1

Madison Georgia is as small as a small town gets. Everyone knows everyone. Everyone talks to everyone. Everyone grew up together. The worst part is everyone knows everything. 

"Anni,e babe" Jacob my boyfriend calls me from across the hall. I smile at him and walk over to him as he lifts his arm and pulls me into his side. He kisses me in greeting. 

"Anna, party at mine tonight, you coming?" Ethan is one of Jacobs friends. They both play football so it's a stereo-type friendship. I mean so is our relationship I am the sweet popular cheerleader and he is partly a jerk quater back. My whole life is a stereo type cliche. 

I look up at Jacob asking if he will be there. I know the answer but he likes this. He likes me depending on him, he likes the control. he nods, so I respond "Ya I'll be there" 

"Sweet" Ethan looks down at my cheer leading uniform that is to tight and short. He has always had a thing for me, but I am dating Jacob so I am considered off limits. 

"Babe, I'll pick you up at 8?" I nod he leans down to kiss me then him and Ethan walk off together. I go to my locker to grab my stuff when I feel a presence behind me. I turn and I am met with Ray smirking down at me. 

"Ray what do you want" I lean back to get farther from him. Ray is the schools asshole, he is popular because he is funny and does stupid shit because he doesn't care what happenens to him. He leans closer to me. 

"Where's your guard dog" His smirk grows

"Jacob, my boyfriend just left" His smirk shrinks a little, "now what do you want" 

"I just have a question" He leans down to whisper in my ear, "One week until the game, you playing?" 

I push him away, we don't talk about the game. After graduation every year all the seniors get a choice to play Instinct. It's what we call the game. Last year two people died. It's a series of challenges and you get points for each one, but they aren't simple fun things. They are based on peoples biggest fears and they are dangerous, people die almost every year, but the winner gets 50,000 dollars. It is run by the Judges who work anonymously. 

"We all know you need the money" he is just as poor as I am

"Shut the hell up, and leave me alone" 

I walk away from him. I walk home, well I walk to the trailer park, because that is my home. I walk as slow as I can, I don't want to go home to my mom and her ass of a boyfriend. I try hard to stay away from them for as long as possible. I am halfway there when I see the coffee bar and I decide to stop. It is only 4 so I still have 4 hours at my house with my mother. I go in and sit down at the bar. I aspect Jake the owner to come out of the back but instead a boy that looks my age walks around the corner. Like I said before, everyone knows everyone so he must be new. 

"hey, what can I get you" He is very cute. 

"Just a small coffee please" I study his face, he has dark wavy hair, he is tall, taller then Jacob but not as tall as Ray or Ethan, they are both probaly 6'4. He must be 6'2 or 6'3. Jacob has light hair, and Ray has dark curls, Ethan also has a dirty blond hair type, but this guy has darker hair then any of them. 

He starts laughing, "it's 4 in the afternoon, we stopped serving coffee 4 hours ago" 

"Well I know your new around here" I smirk, "but Jake would tell you to sell whatever gets you money" He smiles at me, "I have money and I am pretty sure I see the coffees machine right behind you. Unless it stops working at 12 I think you are capable of getting me a small coffee" 

He sighs, "Ok you win, a small coffee coming right up" He turns and starts making it. 

"So your new? what's your name"