Chapter 3

I emerge from the cold water and cheers fill my ears. I swim out of the water and people surround me. 

"That is 175 points for Annabeth" Felix shouts. I make eye contact with Hannah and she looks pissed. Whatever. I am shivering and Will comes up and puts his jacket over me. 

"Thanks" 

"What the hell Annabeth" Jacob pushes through the crowd. 

I throw my hands up, "I need the money" 

"I thought you had enough saved" Hannah interferes. 

"Ya, I did, until today when my mom found it and spent ALL of it" she goes quiet. 

"I'm sorry, I didn't know" She looks down. 

"It's fine" Felix interrupts us. 

"Ok so to go over the scores, everyone has 100 points, except for Anna, Will, and Ray. Will and Ray have 150 and Anna has 175" People cheer. I look over at Ray and Will, they jumped from level 2. "Now we wait for the judges next sign" Everyone cheers again. I don't want to talk to anyone else. I go to my moms care and get in. I start to car, but I don't get the chance to move when Hannah gets in. 

"Hannah, I am tired and I want to sleep" I say to her. 

"Just drive me home, we need to talk" I stare at her for a moment and nod. I drive as she talks. She tells me her plan, she wants to team up. 

"I'm sorry Hannah, but I can't team up with you" 

"Why? why wouldn't you" She is getting upset. 

"Because first of all I don't even know if I want a partner or team, and second I need a partner I can 100% depend on to put their all out there."

She looks offended, "I will put my all out there, I want to win"

"That's the thing Hannah, you WANT to win, I NEED to win" With that I pull up to her house and she jumps out and I drive off. 

I sleep in the car that night. Then I wake up and drive to go find a job. I have 10 dollars in my bank account, that will not get me enough food to last the rest of the day. I ask all around town and no one is hiring. My last stop is the diner. The owner is a total jerk, and creep but I am desperate. 

"Please Tom, I can start today, I don't care what you pay, I just need a job" 

"Fine, fine, there is a uniform in the back, put it on and start taking orders" He grumbles. I smile and go do as he says. I take a lot of orders and people seem to like me because I am getting a lot of tips. 

After 2 hours I already made 50 dollars in tips. I am behind the counter when I hear that voice. The voice I have been trying so hard to avoid

"Woah your looking good in that uniform" I turn to see a smirking Ray.

I roll my eyes and turn back to the coffee maker. "I didn't know you worked here" 

"Just started today" I say not looking back to him.  I finish the coffee and take it to Bill who is sitting in a booth. 

"Thanks darling" He smiles, 

"Of course" I go back behind the bar and look up to Ray, he is smirking at me. 

"Why are you working if you are just going to play" He whispers the last part. 

"Because I have 10 dollars in my bank account and no place to stay" I say bluntly. Then I give him a sarcastic smile, "Now, what can I get you" 

"I have a proposition" I sigh because he isn't ordering, "Lets team up" 

I start laughing and shake my head, "Ok, now seriously what do you want to eat" I try again.