sixteen.

Jacob knows he's not getting away from it. Even if he stayed home from work Monday, Mike would be posted up in his room the second he got the chance. There was no avoiding this. So, Jacob got ready as if it were any other day, trying not to think about the inevitable. 

At 7:40 AM, Mike's van pulls up outside, but the man doesn't get out. It's highly abnormal, but maybe he just didn't feel like coming into the house. Regardless, he was going to have most of the day to mock Jacob for Friday. Jacob can already hear the taunting before he can make his way outside. Even Embry and Quil had scrounged up enough control to not crack jokes at Jacob's expense. However, they also knew that what Jacob was going through held a bit more weight than having a measly crush on someone. He couldn't expect Mike to understand. So, he saunters outside, preparing himself to grit his teeth and bear it until the man got it out his system. 

Mike doesn't say a word the entire ride. 

This is highly abnormal. Unheard of, even. Though, maybe he was just waiting for Jacob to let his guard down. Maybe he thought it'd be funnier if Jacob wasn't consciously waiting for some dumb quip. 

Jacob has his doubts. There is something about the tension in the man's shoulders, the clench of his jaw, the way he kept his eyes forward made Jacob believe that this wasn't some kind of long con. Mike seemed genuinely upset about something. Jacob would think it was the call, but Mike's shared much raunchier things with Jacob without a second thought. So, Jacob was willing to believe that it wasn't about him at all. 

He wants to ask. Jacob wants to at least ask him if he's alright, but as soon as the van is in park, Mike is climbing out. He walks into the building as if they're racing against the clock. Usually, he'd stand around, or b-line it to Eric's office to talk to him, but he doesn't take any detours. Today, he seemed like he didn't have it in him as he made his way straight to the back room. He plops down into his seat, settles his bag down on the floor, and begins staring up at the cameras. No early morning trip to the vending machine, no blabbing about what he'd done over the weekend, no joking around.

"Mike?" Jacob finally breaks the silence.

Mike doesn't bother with turning away from the cameras, letting out an exasperated sigh at the sound of his name. 

"What?" 

The response is short and snippy, Mike clearly irritated with even having to speak. 

"You good, man?" Jacob asks anyway. 

"I'm fine." Mike mumbles despite the way his shoulders slump after the question. 

Jacob doesn't think Mike's mood is about the call. It can't be about the call. However, if it is, he wants to clear the air and apologize. 

"Hey, if this is about Friday -" Jacob begins. 

"Not everything is about you." Mike cuts him off, finally looking away from the cameras to cast Jacob a glare. 

"You're not the center of the fucking universe." He bites out. 

Then, there's silence again. 

'Cause Jacob's never seen him like this. He doesn't know what to do or what to say. So, he just turns toward his side of the cameras and tries to give the man as much space as he can. 

When lunch rolls around, Jacob leaves. He's not even sure where he's going, but stepping outside would be better than sitting there watching Mike brood. Jacob stops at the vending machine on his way out, only to find Edward strolling down the hall in his direction. Jacob thinks he'll keep going, maybe he's headed down to one of the rooms a bit further down. Instead, Edward stops next to Jacob, rummaging through his pockets as if he was going to buy a Snicker's bar.