Amelia

After the Winter Solstice, things had been looking up. My parents tried to approach me more, to understand my struggles and not brush them under the carpet- I was also allowed to roam out- almost freely. I visited nearby villages, spoke with my people, trained my powers.

Things were really looking up- the nightmares and the overbearing guilt lingered, but they were so very slowly, dimming in comparison to being back home, back with my family.

Pieces were of course still missing- Feyre and Lilith, for example, weren't as lucky at the Spring Court. Even though Feyre hadn't directly said it, I understood she was not the overjoyed, pretty wife she was posing as. And the marriage was almost there- I was worried about my friend.

Tamlin wasn't necessarily bad, but he had a temper, and other not so admirable qualities- my parents told me to stay away from Spring Court business, but I couldn't help the worry building up in my chest.

When my new servant quietly knocked on my door and left me my post before bed, I went through the letters like a hunter on a quest until I spotted Lilith's beautiful script on an envelope.

I scanned her words like a hungry dog thrown a bone:

Dear Amelia,
I am sorry I haven't written in a while but things have been looking down as the wedding nears. The feared date is tomorrow, in case you didn't know. I'm afraid my sister doesn't want to marry him, Amelia. Tamlin was a saviour for us, for her, and he treated with gentleness and love unlike anything she'd know- we'd known. So it was easy for her to love him when she needed saving. But she doesn't need that anymore. I'm certain she loves him, but I'm as certain she doesn't wish to marry him. They don't talk- they only have sex, and that only adds to their problems.

I know she'll go through with it out of selflessness. But I won't let her. All I've wanted since the very beginning is for her to be happy, and I've risked quite a lot to achieve that. If Tamlin won't make her happy, I care neither for his status nor his power: I'll defy him.

But afterwards, Feyre and I will need someone as powerful to shelter us. Does your father's invitation hold? I hate to ask you such a thing, and I wouldn't if I had any other choice, but I don't.

Love and apologies,
Lilith

For a second, I just sat on my bed, gaping at the letter on my lap. I had not realised- I had not realised Feyre was truly unhappy. But I knew that if Lilith said so, she knew so. And I also knew what lengths the Archeron sisters would go to for each other.

I yearned for someone to love me as much, to have such a sisterly bond again- but if the Winter Court took away the Spring Court's possession, it would mean war. And war meant bloodshed, and terror, and death- and it also meant Rhysand would be able to call in the bargain again. Take me away again.

No, I had to find some other way. I had to- My breath stuck in my throat. Unlikely bargains, offering both damn and salvation. The bargain Rhysand had made with Lilith. The bond between them.

I grabbed a pen and a piece of paper, and quickly began writing.

Dear Lilith,
I cannot aid you without starting a war. But one look at your arm will give you the answer you're looking for. Keep me updated.
Love, Amelia

I sent my letter, knowing it would reach the two girls in the middle of the night and hoping it wouldn't be too late.

I slept uneasily that night, dreams of dark castles and shadowy figures invading my sleep.

...

A loud knock on my door startled me from sleep- I took a moment to calm myself from being so abruptly awoken.