Chapter 3

Sigma couldn't get Chuuya out of his head. No. Not like that. Chuuya was pretty, yes. Maybe even the prettiest guy in the port mafia. Wait, was he allowed to think about his superior like that? Ugh, that was besides the point.

The thing was their conversation from 2 days ago. Chuuya grabbed his shoulders and asked him why he wasn't dead. Not in the rude way- he seemed to genuinely think Sigma died. But why? They hadn't even been together the day before, so it's not like Chuuya would even know if he did die.

The distance between them, or lack thereof seemed almost intimate. Chuuya might not have been bothered by it but Sigma was. Bothered right isn't the word. Nervous was more accurate. Whatever it was it had butterflies flying in their stomach.

Sigma's workload wasn't super heavy today. All he had had to do was handle some finances for a few places currently in Kouyou's control. Kouyou had Sigma do more of this sort of thing recently and was happy to find that Sigma was surprisingly good at it. Sigma wondered if Kouyou was just handing him the work she didn't want to do, but Sigma wouldn't have minded if that were the case. After all, no matter how far he'll get or how high he'll climb, they'll always just be an underdog for someone to use- No. No, he couldn't think like that. They owe Kouyou so much, this was the least he could do for her.

Sigma was heading to Kouyou's office to deliver the papers he'd finished when he saw Chuuya. And well, can you blame Sigma for slowing down to look at him for just a little longer? Chuuya was talking to one of his subordinates when he caught Sigma looking at him. Sigma would've looked away in embarrassment, but Chuuya looked away first and he didn't seem embarrassed.

Chuuya had an unreadable expression, but it looked to Sigma as if Chuuya was mad at him. But why would that be the case? Was it their meeting from two days ago? Did Sigma accidentally offend Chuuya in some way? You could never be too careful with the port mafia executives.

Sigma eventually reached Kouyou's office while he was thinking things through. Kouyou was there at her desk, looking through some files. She had a bored and sour expression on her face, but it got brighter when she spotted Sigma.

"Hello there, dear." Kouyou said and smiled at Sigma. "Kouyou-san, I read through the reports and did the calculations I was asked to do." Sigma said and placed the reports on Kouyou's desk.

"Ah, thank you! It really was some really boring work and was never part of my strong suit." Kouyou said.

"It is but my duty to serve you." Sigma said.

He felt like little more than a glorified assistant at the moment, but that's exactly what he was. He might rank 3rd in the mafia being a sub-executive, but of course that meant the executives and the boss ranked higher than him. And with Sigma working directly under Kouyou, he really was just like an assistant to her. That was fine with him. As long as he had a purpose and was of even a little bit of help to the mafia, he'd deal with whatever unwanted feelings came with that.

"Well, that's everything, so why don't you relax a little?" Kouyou suggested.

"Are you sure? Is there really no more work for me?" Sigma asked.

"Oh darling, there's always more work, but you don't need to worry about that. It wouldn't do for me to pass down all my boring work to you, now would it? Besides, you've been working so much lately and while I'm proud of you, I don't think it's good for you." Kouyou said.

"R- really?" Sigma knew Kouyou cared about him, but it still surprised him to have his well being be considered. He'd really never get used to it.

"Yes really." Kouyou put her hands on top of Sigma's and gave them a squeeze. "Now get out of my office."