Chapter 1: Goodbye School, Hello Summer... and Grandma Atonia?

Jasmine groaned as the muffled sound of the alarm clock pierced through her covers, waking her from her slumber. She stretched an arm from under the duvet to shut it off. She didn't want to go. Five more minutes. She closed her eyes, sliding back into the dream realm when her cellphone rang next to her.

"Hello," she mumbled.

"Get up, Jaz."

"Do I have to?" she whined into the phone. This was typical of her best friend, Alexandra. The daughter of an oil tycoon, while her mother was a brain surgeon and her father a heart surgeon specializing in pediatrics. They'd been besties since freshman year at Ridgewood preparatory. Alex was one of the few people who didn't care about statuses. It was quite refreshing for someone who was the heir to millions, if not billions.

"Okay, okay. I'm moving," she groaned, throwing the duvet off her form.

"Hurry! I'm outside." Alex said.

Jasmine heard a knock outside her dorm door. She shuffled over to the door to let Alex in.

"I don't understand why you are such a grump in the mornings." Alex said, moving towards the kitchenette, while she ran to take a shower.

"But it's the last day of school," she sang as she hurried towards the bathroom to take her shower.

Jasmine stared at her reflection as she slapped on some mascara and lip gloss. Her mahogany skin was blemish free, and her hazel eyes stared back at her in the mirror. She groaned, staring at the thick, wavy hair that sat a few inches past her shoulders.

"I should just cut it off." She mumbled, but truthfully, she loved her hair. She wrestled it into a ponytail holder before making her way out of the bathroom.

"Thanks girl," she said, taking the cup of tea from Alex. They sat on the couch to relax before class start.

"So, I was thinking," Alex started out.

"Yeah."

"Maybe we should spend the summer together. Take a trip to the U.S. Virgin Islands or Italy; maybe even Ireland."

"That would be so cool! I don't see why I wouldn't be able to go. The Virgin Islands sounds awesome, though. Just lounging on the beach all summer long."

"Looking at hot guys." Alex added. "Maybe we could even see M-24 in concert!" she said, referring to the pop star group who was topping the charts.

"It would be pretty cool. I can check with my parents." Jasmine said, finishing her cup of tea and grabbing her satchel. "I'll call them after classes."

"Fingers crossed. We totally need some girl time before senior year starts. Besides, you have a birthday coming up in a few days."

"The big one eight."

"You should finally give in to me and let me do something a little special."

"By special, you mean a crazy party."

"You never let me do anything fun," Alex whined as they shuffled towards their first class.

"I'm simple. Hopefully, we can take this trip together." Jasmine whispered as the professor walked in. She was glad today was the last day of class.

"We're free!" Alex shouted when she spotted me coming down the hallway. "C'mon, let's go!" She said dragging her out of the building.

"Where's the fire?" She asked, laughing at her antics. She sat on the sofa bouncing up and down urging her to call her folks. Good grief. She held up her index finger as she called her mom.