Ebbing and Flowing

"grief is like the ocean; it comes in waves, ebbing and flowing. sometimes the water is calm, and sometimes it is overwhelming. all we can do it learn to swim" - vicki harrison

-----

After their late-night existential crisis engagement, Freen and Becky decided to keep their new status on the down-low for a little while.

They mainly did so for selfish reasons, as they wanted to enjoy their engagement privately before their whole family started swarming them with questions about a wedding and all of the fun little details that came with it.

Despite their silence, they still decided to buy rings for each other as a way to really solidify the proposal and give each other something to look forward to.

Nita and Emily never seemed to really pick up on the new jewelry, and if they did, they never questioned it, but Freen and Becky knew they would have to tell them soon, especially since they wanted the girls to be the first people to know.

Before that could happen, however, Freen and Becky had a more important day to attend to: the first day of school.

Freen and Becky got up far earlier than necessary on the first day back. Becky wanted to get back to her early morning runs before looking over her teaching notes one final time, and Freen wanted to make the girls a special pancake breakfast.

While Becky was out on her 6am run, Freen got to work finding the perfect pancake recipe and following it to a tee.

It was as Freen poured the first pancake out that Becky returned, breathless and sweaty, but much more lively than she was thirty minutes ago.

“It took you thirty minutes to make the batter?” Becky asked as she dipped her finger into the bowl to taste it.

“No,” Freen said as she swatted the offensive hand away. “I messed up the first batch,” Freen explained, making Becky wiggle her eyebrows.

“What’d you do?” Becky asked as she snuck a second taste of the batter.

“I put salt instead of sugar,” Freen explained, making her fiancé laugh.

“I’m going to take a wild guess on how you figured that out,” Becky teased as she took a bit of batter onto her finger which she then playfully tapped onto Freen's nose.

“I still taste the salt on my tongue,” Freen said as she scrunched up her nose and wiped the batter off of it with the kitchen towel.

“My poor baby,” Becky cooed before kissing Freen. “Hmm, salty,” Becky hummed thoughtfully, making Freen whack her with the towel she still held.

“Be nice!” Freen insisted, making Becky laugh as she stepped away from the offensive whack.

“I’m kidding. Please save me one of those delicious new pancakes. I’m going to take a quick shower,” Becky said, kissing Freen once more before she hurried upstairs.

Freen returned to her pancake on the stove and transferred it to a plate when it became a nice golden brown. Freen quickly made a second pancake, which she put onto a separate plate before she turned the stove off.

Turning her attention back to the pancakes, Freen used a canister of whipped cream to draw smiley faces onto them before using chocolate to add some extra decoration.

Once she was pleased with how they looked, Freen grabbed the plates and headed up the stairs.

As quietly as possible, Freen crept her way into the girls’ room and set one of the plates down on the nightstand before turning to a still sleeping Emily.