Chapter 2: Dinner Table

I locked up the shop and took the usual trolley route home that night. Sitting at my oak colored wood seat, I tried relentlessly in willing myself for naught to think about something else other than the unusual encounter with the pale handsome stranger. I wish Georgia was here to give me a smack to head, I could use one at the moment.

I hopped off the trolley and walked towards my father's home, a three story red brick townhouse a few steps away from the station. As I approached, I noticed a black Chevrolet with silver trimmings parked outside our dark blue front door. Yet another peculiar visit. Examining the model briefly, I slowly slide my keys into the hole before even opening the door to listen for footsteps. I can hear muffled voices but couldn't make any voices out. Realization flew through my mind following curiosity.

Opening the door and closing is shut behind me.

"Hey, Claire and Andrew!" I called out from the foyer.

"Pugs!" Claire comes around the corner, taking off the apron she was wearing; she wraps her arms around my neck. She scolded, "You won't be getting a husband working all day like that. Ugh! Look at those bags under your eyes." Both her hands gently cradle my face as she shakes her head in disapproval.

Claire was my eldest sister, the first to get married at age ten and six, and the first to get pregnant at ten and six. Now at thirty and first lady of the church. She makes sure her children are fed, attends school regularly, and organizes every function held by the church. As an adult her attention was drawn towards becoming the kind of women others of the same gender would be envious of. Getting married quickly, would be the quickest way for green eyes on her. Growing up, she learned to sew, clean, and cook even though Odessa and myself rarely asked her to help mend, tidy, or cook. Realizing Claire's talents, Daddy knew Claire was a flower that needed to be tended to. With her picturesque almond brown skin free of any and all blemishes with a slight rosey blush, lips printed with a reddish hue, and shoulder length curls pinned in swirls, always perfectly round and not a single strand out of place. Claire was a little taller than the average woman in our neighborhood, she didn't take any liking to reading or physical exercise, but took care not to over indulge. Her almond brown complexion only adds to accentuate her feline features, tall nose like Daddy. There were plenty of Gardners waiting to plough and sow their seeds into their Claire.

Andrew was the middle child of the Nelson family. He bore a strong resemblance to Sir Nelson and always had a vision of becoming a pastor and running his own church. That is the only quality, besides his gender, I admired. He gets to marry the women he is attracted to. I asked Andrew one day what was it that he loved about Claire.

"She is a vision." At that moment I knew Andrew Nelson perfect match as decreed by the neighborhood.

"Maybe I wouldn't have to if you helped with the store every once in while."

"Oh, don't be silly now. I got my hands full is caring for my husband, house, and little ones running about. And you would be to if you were married." She gushed as she pulls me to kiss each side of my cheeks. "Oh, Pugs, how I miss you so."

"Stop calling me, Pugs"

"Hush now! Can't you be excited to see your oldest sister."

"I miss you too, Claire—Now tell me why your here?"

"Come now, Andrew and I decided to stop by and share a little love. Dinner is ready."

"Hold up, I need to check on Daddy. Did he eat already?"

"Licked the plate till he can see his reflection."

"Did he take his medicine?"

"Like the good little boy he is."