12

"They're sinners!" —Church ladies at the Honey booth.

JENNIE

We pull up to the local fair the towns holding, there are cars parked all over the side of the road, four-wheelers, and even tractors. This is a new scene for my family and me, that's for sure.

Mom gets out of the front of the car and smoothed her fine hair down. It's split down the middle and put into a high ponytail. Her dress black and white, and skin tight.

"Could this place get any more redneck," she sneers, putting on some white gloves.

"Just remember, dear, they have plenty of acres to buy," Dad growls, adjusting his tie. This outing all business for him.

This is going to be humiliating, I can tell.

Mom glances over her shoulder and I notice the look in her eyes. "Jennie, I swear." She scoffs, adjusting my dress. It's three sizes too big and flows behind me when I walk. I love it. "Would it kill you to wear something that actually fits you and doesn't look like you got it from a thrift shop?"

"It's a fair, Mom," I mumble. It smells like I would imagine a fair would smell like. Popcorn and the faint smell of fresh cotton candy twisting in the wind. Lively chatter around the way, and people of different sizes and shapes smiling at one another.

"Let's go meet the townsfolks and see if we can't make some friends, hmm?" Dad gives a tight-lipped smile, and by friends, he means potential buyers. I wish I would have come by myself.

Walking into the field mom has to pick her legs up with every stride, her Stilettos sticking into the soft grass. I bite my cheek to keep from laughing. She looks ridiculous.

"Hey, you must be the Kims!" A short man with a robust belly wearing overalls, steps in front of us. He's shirtless with a hairy chest, and a farmer's hat on his sweaty head.

"Uh, yes we are," Mom hesitates, her face evident of disgust.

"Well nice to meet ya, I'm Farmer Corndog!" He chuckles, sweeping her gloved hand in for a shake. Mom squeals, and Father steps in between. I'm stuck on the fact they call him Corndog thought.

"If you will excuse us, we are trying to enjoy a family outing." Dad's pompous attitude causes my cheeks to warm. I really didn't want to come out with them, I knew they would make a scene.

"Well, alright. Just make sure and check out the pie table. Best pies of the year!" He chuckles and waves someone else down walking behind us. He was so friendly I feel bad for him. My parents are going to eat this town alive.

Mom looks over her shoulder at me. "I love pie." I shrug.

"You can't be serious." Mom's eyes go wide as saucers.

"It's like they found all the people of Walmart and stuck them at this fair," Dad says a little too loudly. The ladies in the organic honey booth eyeing us with bitter eyes. They remind me of the fairies from Sleeping Beauty, their dresses in hat matching only different colors.

"Can we please just go try the pie," I press along my parents' backs, urging them away from wondering eyes.

Passing face painting, a bounce house, and beer chugging contest three tables lined up with pies greets us. They are so beautiful they look like something out of a cookbook.

"They smell amazing!" I smile, laying my hands on the blue plastic covering the tables.

"Oh, you must be the Kims!" A young blonde lady with hair so tall you'd think she spoke straight to God.