Restart

My name is Kitayama Kazuki. I'm 26 years old. I'm a Programmer and also a Convenience store part-timer. I live in a small flat alone.

My life wasn't really the best, but that doesn't mean I already gave up on life. I keep working to pay for my sister's hospital.

"Rent has been paid for this month and the cancer treatment... I still can afford it. But if I do so, I won't be able to pay for the next rent..."

It was the middle of the night. I looked at the pile of bills on the table, I was depressed. I couldn't even get a decent sleep at all, I was forced to stare at the pile of paper in front of me for days, trying to do some math on how to pay my rent and my sister's treatment.

I took my smartphone, the screen was a bit cracked, but it was still functional. I opened the browser and searched about how to make quick cash.

"I know, maybe I can sell something? But what? I don't have anything to sell though."

I scrolled through the results, and most of them were just clickbait websites, telling me to buy their products so I could sell them.

I just sighed and closed the browser, "...I should stop looking at this for now, I can't think straight anymore..."

I opened my phone gallery and started to browse through my old photos. Most of them were selfies, some were with friends, some were with my family, and some were with my sister.

"...Kotori...I hope you're okay there..."

My sister, Kotori, was admitted to the hospital 4 months ago. She was diagnosed with lung cancer, which was the most advanced type of lung cancer. The doctor said, her condition can't be treated unless they perform surgery.

The problem is, that the surgery was very expensive, I was barely able to save enough money by selling one of my kidneys for her cancer treatment, and my current salary wasn't enough to pay for her surgery.

If only I could make more money...

"Ugh, it's almost 1 AM, maybe I should go to bed now..."

I stood up from the chair and went to the bedroom. My bedroom was a bit messy, I was too tired to clean it.

I jumped to the bed and covered myself with a blanket, then I immediately fell asleep.

***

"Ugh, I didn't sleep well..."

I woke up, my body felt heavy. I looked at the clock, it's 6:47 AM.

I slowly sat up and tried to open my eyes, my body was still tired.

"I shouldn't have stayed up late."

I checked my phone, realizing someone had sent me a text. It was Yoshihara Ayame, an old friend since High School. I wonder what she sent me.

I opened the chat app and read her text.

"Hey, Kazu-kun, are you busy?" 06.13

"Kazu-kun?" 06.13

"Please answer" 06.14

"You must be busy. I'm sorry." 06.15

"I just want to" 06.15

"I just want to say, thank you. Thank you for everything you've done for me. You were the best friend I never thought I would have in my life. You always supported me when I had troubles. I'm sorry that I can't help you to lessen your burden regarding your sister. I already begged my mother multiple times, but she doesn't like you a little bit. I just don't understand her. I'm so sorry. If only we didn't live in this damn society, where status is everything, I would have given all the money you need to you. But I can't. I can't do it. I'm so sorry, I'm so useless, I'm so weak. Please forget about me. Forget about your useless, weak, and pathetic friend. Just please, live your life, and take care of your sister. I don't deserve you at all. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I'm so worthless. Goodbye, and good luck with your life, Kazu-kun." 06.38