Chapter Two

I couldn't stop thinking about the boy.

It's rare when something- somebody really fascinates me to the point where they constantly occupy my mind. I used to only feel that way about books. When I finish a novel, I'll spend the following days, weeks, rethinking every little detail about the book. That's what's currently happening with that boy. And it's ridiculous because I don't even know him, I don't even know his name. I want to find out more about him, but where do I start from there? I sigh, hopefully, whatever ridiculous thing is drawing me to him that much will fade away. Just as I was about to resume my blogging, I hear Brendan, my brother, call my name.

"Yeah?" I call back.

"Can you hang the laundry outside for me? I'm going out."

"Sure," I say halfheartedly. Oh well, it's whatever, I'll make him do the dishes for me tonight. Besides, I don't really mind, at least it'll distract me from my thoughts for a while.

I head downstairs and grab the laundry basket on my way. Bartholomew follows dutifully behind me, silly cat probably thinks I've got some treat for him.

"Uh-uh, not today mister," I shoo him away, "Don't think I forgot about that scratch you gave me yesterday. That's right, naughty boy."

I use the back door to my yard and start hanging the laundry outside, quietly humming a song. Luckily, the weather's not so bad today so I don't have to worry about getting soaked. I shiver just thinking about it. Suddenly, a noise breaks me out of my reverie, I drop whatever I was doing and try to make out what it is. It sounds like someone shouting... Could that be? I start walking closer to where the noise is coming from, my heart beating louder in my chest as I realize that it it's coming from my neighbor's house. His house. I can make out his silhouette from where he's standing in his room, conveniently right in front of his wide open window. I frown as I try to hear what he's saying.

"You know how many of you I've gone through? 7, that's how many. This is all temporary, if you think your opinion has any affect on me then you're wrong!" I can't help but notice how different his voice sounds when he's yelling. Nothing like the warm, soothing singing voice that I've listened to so many times.

"Listen, you need to understand that I'm saying this for your own good,-" whoever was talking was instantly cut off by the boy yelling again. His accent that is already very noticeable when he sings is now even thicker, and that shouldn't make my heart flutter the way it did.

"Oh, please! You could give less of a fuck what's good for me. I don't need you, now leave me alone."

"But-"

"I SAID LEAVE ME ALONE!!!" I flinch back at the tone of his voice. A tense silence settles in, time seems to have stopped. Whoever he was talking to must've left the room. I know I should go back in, it's already bad enough that I eavesdropped on him, but for some reason I can't get myself to move, even as I see him approach his window. I watch intently as he presses his palms against the windowsill, his head hung low. Suddenly, his eyes find mine and time seems to slow down for a moment, my breath catches in my throat, and I can't look away... That's when he slams his window shut angrily and closes his blind.

What the hell was that? I stand there dumbfounded for a good minute, until I regain my senses and start walking back to the back door where I came from. Laundry be damned, I'll take care of it later. Once inside, I slide down the wall, resting my hand against my chest, my heart is beating like crazy. What the hell was I thinking? Intruding his privacy like that, what is wrong with me? He probably hates me now, and it shouldn't even bother me that much but it does. I start reaching for my phone, thinking that I should tell Liz about it, but then decide against it. If this were me, I wouldn't want strangers knowing about my business. Guess I'll have to keep quiet about that one.