7

(It's short but a chapter is a chapter)

"Come on Axle, we just went over this" Maeve said exasperatedly. They were currently in Maeve's room, studying for the biology test the next day. Well, Maeve was futilely trying to teach Axle the content of the test.

"I'm sorry! It's just so boring" The curly haired boy groaned, slamming his textbook shut. She rolled her eyes at his dramatics, closing her own textbook.

"You're going to have to learn it at some point. The test is tomorrow"  She told him sternly, like she had been for the past hour. He groaned again, lying down on her bed and covering his face with a pillow.

She smiled softly at him, laying down next to him. They stayed there for a moment, enjoying the silence before Maeve broke it.

"Are you looking into colleges?" She asked tentatively. Maeve knew this was a sensitive subject for him. But, she wanted to know what he was planning.

He sighed softly, not as irate as he usually was when his parents would bring up college. He took the pillow off his face and looked down at his hands. "Yeah, actually. I don't know what i'd do, but i want to go" He admitted.

Maeve smiled at him,  lifting his chin to make their eyes meet. "I'm sure you'll do great at whatever you choose. You're smart Axl. You're so smart, but you don't have any motivation"

He scoffed and said "You're my motivation. Do you have any idea how much my grades have improved because of you?" He smiled at her shocked face.

"What?" She asked him, confused.

"Maeve i was basically flunking every class. Now i'm passing all of them. I'm even getting As in Business" He explained, bewildered at his own achievements. She looked at him for a moment, before she grinned brightly, launching herself on top of him in a hug.

He laughed, wrapping his arms around her waist and kissing her head. "You've got no idea how much you mean to me" He whispered, remembering his realisation during school. He knew he loved her. He loved her more than ever thought he could.

She moved her head, resting her chin on his chest. She didn't ask what he meant, being able to tell he didn't want to elaborate just yet. She looked into his eyes, and saw nothing but admiration and affection. Maeve blushed at his gaze, resting her head in the crook of his neck, his hands coming up to run through her hair.

"What are you planning?" He asked her quietly, referencing their earlier conversation about the future.

She looked up at him again, smiling sadly. "I'm not sure. Dad, he wants me to go to law school, and i don't know about you but that's the last thing i want" She whispered.

He furrowed his eyebrows and said, "Law School? What about your art?"

She scoffed at his question, "That's just a hobby. There's no way i could do anything with it. Anyway, i know he's just looking out for me. Wants me to have a secure future" She murmured.

Axl sat up quickly, looking frustrated. "Maeve, that's absolutely ridiculous. You're amazing at art. You could be the next Pincassi or whatever his name is"

Maeve laughed heartedly at his butchering of the name. "Picasso?" She asked him teasingly.

He rolled his eyes fondly. "You know what i mean. And i'm serious. I think you would knock everyone on their ass if you took your art seriously" He said, looking at her softly once more.

She smiled at him, a true, loving smile.

"I love you" she whispered. His eyes went wide, not expecting her to once again beat him to a confession. She laughed at his expression, nervous to hear what he had to say.

"Why do you always do that?" He asked, grinning from ear to ear. She met his eyes, "Do what?"

"Beat me to it"

He lent forward and kissed her passionately.  She could feel every ounce of love and happiness he felt poured into the kiss. He held her face in his hands, never wanting to let go of his girl.

When they did eventually pull away, he met her eyes once again and whispered,

"I love you too"