chapter one

It was August 8th. The sun was shining, the birds were chirping, and the weather was a solid 90 degrees. On this type of morning, I would usually be headed out to the beach with my friends but not today. As I stood blankly in the empty kitchen, I looked around the house. Today was moving day.

I've lived in the same house from the moment I arrived into the world. Florida, where the best beaches were located and where everything was laid back and chill, had been my home forever. I had created the best memories here and made the best friends since my diaper ages. All thanks to my Dad's job, we were moving to Canada into a little town called Pickering. The population was just a little less than 89,000. From the moment I heard we were moving to Canada, I already despised the place. Not only were we moving out of the state, but we were moving to a different country. All my cherished moments from the moment I was born would be abandoned here, in Jacksonville FL. We were taking all our furniture and solid objects with us to Pickering, but those didn't mean anything to me. My memories were more important and we were leaving what mattered most to me behind.

"Jenny, can you please pick up the box of kitchen appliances and bring them outside?" My mom called to me. I looked over to her bitterly.

"Yeah, whatever," I muttered under my breath and went to pick up the box. I was still in denial against my parents about the moving situation, although I knew it wouldn't do any use if I gave them the cold shoulder. I plopped the box outside and looked up at our home one last time. I was really going to miss this place, but there were no more tears left in my body to cry out so I stood in the bright sun gloomily, the weather the complete opposite of my mood.

***

"Welcome home!" my Dad boomed from the front seat as the driver pulled up into the driveway of our new house. I cringed and turned down the music blasting from my earbuds a little bit.

"Not so soon Dad," I said sourly. I was wiped out from the plane ride and the last thing I wanted hear were my parents gushing over this place. My younger brother, Percy rolled down the window and stuck his head out.

"It's really nice. I like it," He admitted out loud. I reached over from where I was sitting in the back and lightly smacked my thirteen year old brother in the arm.

"Shut up, Percy," I hissed. Maggie, my older sister threw me an annoyed glance.

"If you took the time to look out the window, you would see it's actually a pretty nice house," she glared at me. I rolled my eyes when I saw my Mom and Dad exchange a pleased glance, but I decided to peep out the window anyway. They were right. It was a big, modern looking brick house and it was definitely larger than our old house. I didn't want to show that I was impressed so I shoved my earbuds back in grumpily and turned my music on again. We all got out of the car and thanked the driver as we headed inside to take a look. I refused to give my parents what they wanted so I turned my back and stared out onto the street instead. Our moving truck was driving down the street and my face lit up immediately, but another sight caught my eye. Two boys about my age were standing across the road looking at me. Both of them were holding longboards and when the tall brown haired boy leaned in and whispered something to his ginger haired friend, I began to feel self-conscious.

"The brown haired one is checking you out," Maggie whispered in my ear. I scoffed in disgust.

"They don't even know me. Pickering boys are hella gross," I concluded. I heard Maggie laugh as I stalked off and avoided any eye contact with the boys. The moving boxes were being unloaded and I stood on the lawn with my arms crossed over my chest. I didn't want to go inside yet, because I knew the inside would impress me more than the outside.

"Jenny, this shit is your stuff," Percy pushed a box labeled 'Jenny' toward me. I dragged it into the house finally. Sooner or later, I would have to face the cold hard truth. The moment I stepped inside, I was engulfed in a cozy atmosphere. The carpet was soft and plushy, but at the same time the inside of the house was modern looking but not too contemporary. I hated the fact that I felt so...at home.