Part 1

I haven't seen Daddy in two months. Momma says he's trying to find a job so we can have enough

food to live through this. I pretend to know what is happening. I pretend to understand why Daddy can't stay here to work, but I really don't. Memories with Daddy flooded my mind. Memories of writing a book together, he said when we were done that he would read to me every night. We never finished the book.

My family used to have a big house, where I had my own room and my own pretty dresses and dolls. Instead, we now have a small house in Oklahoma with only one bedroom. My little sister, Claire, doesn't stop crying except for when she sleeps. I thought it was because she missed Daddy, but Momma says it's because she is hungry. I'm hungry, too, but Momma tells me not to complain and that I have to be strong for Claire. So I don't complain when my stomach relentlessly rumbles.

I sleep in the big bed with Momma and Claire sleeps with her stuffed bunny beside the bed in her cot. Sometimes I hear Momma cry. She only cries when she feels like no one is around or when she knows everyone is sleeping. She says that the baby inside of her is dying and there isn't anything she can do about it. I pray that one day I will get to kiss that baby's forehead for real, instead of kissing Momma's belly goodnight.

When I hear Momma cry at night, I reach my hand across our twin sized bed and find her hand. I squeeze tight knowing that there is nothing I can do to help. Momma says that praying is more important now than ever. Momma prays for guidance. Claire prays for Momma to feel better, and I pray for food. Momma says that we can't lose hope that one day God might decide to answer our prayers. I hope so.

-

-

-

-

~ Hope you enjoyed Part 1 of Fade Into The End!!! More to come soon!

~Bri