CHAPTER 002: GIVE ME SOMETHING GOOD TO EAT

10/31/2021Hackensack, New Jersey~

10/31/2021
Hackensack, New Jersey
~

"Are you okay back there, buddy?" Logan Wheeler said as he looks at Jake looking around in his seat. Junior looked out the window watching the children walk through the streets.

"Yeah, it's just that my seat is hot." Jake replies.

They were on their way to school and Junior couldn't stop thinking about Oliver and Lexy. He had been trying to get the two out of his head, but couldn't. Knowing that Lexy could have done something like that to him or more importantly her own sister was scary.

"Oh, Jake, I'm sorry. You can turn that down. There's a switch there on the right."

Snapping himself out of his own thoughts, he switched to Jake, "You know, long periods of exposure can cause second degree burns. It's called toasted skin syndrome."

"That's ridiculous," Bree Wheeler said from the passenger seat, rolling her eyes at her son's attempts to seemingly tease Jake.

"Look it up, it happens." Junior replied nonchalantly, looking out the window again.

"Not in Lexus, it doesn't. Jake, don't pay any attention to him, honey."

"Remind me, what is your protein intake this week?" Logan asks

"Uh fifty grams a day?"

"Uh, you should turn that up to seventy-five."

"But dad, states aren't until the fifteenth. Besides, I'm not a sprinter and I only weigh a hundred and five pounds this morning."

"We don't want you to get injured a week before the most important race of your life. You just have a cliff bar before lunch, okay?" 

"ok".

They stopped in front of the school, Junior quickly getting out and spotted Lexy standing by the door looking around, sighing he walked over to his girlfriend.

"Have a good day at school, Junior." Bree smiled, calling out the passenger door window, watching her son walk away. Jake grabbed his backpack, slinging it over his shoulder and closing the car door, turning around to see teens staring at him and whispering to one another, some talking about his father and others about the talent show that got him suspended and wasn't allowed to take Chucky with him no more. The sound of the Lexus driving away, snapped Jake away from the hushed whispers he could make out.

"Jake!" Venus ran over, hugging the teen boy. "God, I missed your stupid face around here."

Jake hugged the girl back, "Nice to see you too, Vee." He pulled away, almost instinctively avoiding her gaze. He felt guilty for Chucky blurting out Lexy and Oliver's business, he knew that Venus was pretty crushed about it. After he had been hauled off, he overheard Devon comforting the girl in the hallway once the reality had finally hit her.