Chapter 1

Few tears escaped Jeongin's eyes and a pained grunt left his lips as the leathered belt hit his back with the same turbulent force. His breath shuddered, and he squirmed but nothing could be done as his hands were tied with the wooden pole above his head.

"You should stop acting like a brat. One more complain and I will tear that skin off your body." Cheif Lui nodded his head in the direction of the executioner who hit the belt again to Jeongin’s back. He cried out in pain, more tears seeped out of his eyes.

"I didn't do anything. They...They were lying." He completed his sentence between sobs and hiccups, his voice soft and delicate veiled with tears.

"Liar." His voice echoed in the silent chambers. " You should better stop this whiny attitude of yours. It's going to take you nowhere. You can't escape from here and even if you do, that won't be in one piece. "

With a final hit to his lower back, cheif Lui held out his hand, motioning the executioner to stop. He gestured for him to untie his ropes, looking blankly as the frail body of the boy limped down on the floor.

The sound of his ragged breathing, metal clinking, and torch flames flicking were making that musty grey stoned chamber look gloomier than it already was.

He leaned into the boy's ear, resting his boots on one of his wounds, bringing out an agonized cry from Jeongin’s mouth. "Get yourself treated, no one's going to do your share of work. And stop thinking about running."

He eyed the boy one last time before leaving the place, slamming the iron gates hard, making his departure known.

A soft, painful sob escaped Jeongin’s mouth as he tried to move himself in a fetal position only to cry more with the burning sensation in his back.

His mind drifted to how much had changed in a month. He used to live happily under the warm wings of his parents. His house was situated near the sea shore. He would make sand castles  imagining the life of people living in it but never ever he wished for what he was going through. Everything was so peaceful until his land was invaded by another king going into the deadly condition of a war.

The house, he once used to live in, which was the chamber of his memories was burned in front of him. He remembered when two pairs of hands grabbed him, ignoring his heart-wrenching cries and plead, and took him away. Away from his family, away from his freedom.

Just like now, when two pairs of hands grabbed him pulling him up from the floor, snubbing the injuries on his body. He was dragged outside, his legs barely cooperating with him. At that point, he was totally at the mercy of those servants who took him to medical room . He was laid down on his side, each and every movement of his body shooting up an excruciating amount of pain in him. The curtains were pulled as the servants left.

Shortly after, an elder man came into his view dressed in white robes holding out a scissor in his hand. He smiled apologetically before moving to his back.

"Ah, Cheif Lui and his punishments. They must be hurting a lot. I will try to be as careful as I can. " His voice was laced with concern and gentleness a. He cut Jeongin's robe, which was torn in places with blood scattering the area around the wounds. He carefully removed his upper robes, revealing his injuries littered back.

"Aish, this is horrible... This will be painful. I will give you this belt to put in your mouth. This.." He looked at the boy closed eyes and let out a sigh. He pulled out a needle disinfecting it before starting to gently close the wounds.  He could feel Jeongin body tense at some points even when he was  not awake. He stiched his wounds, bandaging his body. He covered him with a soft blanket to protect him from the cold and left the room. It was hard

He knew it was hard.

........

The candle's light illuminated the room. The cream-shaded walls were beautifully decorated with red and gold dragons and phoenix, symbols of the Hwang kingdom. A huge table was placed in the center with multiple parchments scattered on it. On the far corner of it, sat Hwang Hyunjin, the eighth king of the Hwang kingdom.

Clad in black and red robes, with golden embroidery and silver lining, signature robes of Hwang’s, he sat there reading every parchment before throwing them into the fireplace. Black silky hair tied behind his back, eyebrows knitted together, he scanned every piece of paper before letting them meet the same fate. 

He was said to have taken his intelligence and wisdom from his grandfather Hwang Seungbin, who was the most powerful and longest reigning king.

But Hyunjin never actually wanted to become a king. No one ever asked him what he really wanted to be. The truth is, he didn’t know himself. Somedays he would see the royal poets and would  find himself writing under the dim moonlight. The melodious harp that was played usually on grand occasions turned the wheel in his mind but the options were pretty much useless when you were born a prince.

The moment king died, he wasn’t even given the time to mourn his father before taking the throne. He was just nineteen then. His generals used to take care of most of the matters that time but it didn’t take him long to get hold of his title. His first priority was making peace with the enemy but if he was ever pulled into a war. He won.

There was a knock at his door, General Byol entered inside bowing his head and forwarding a sealed letter to Hyunjin.

"This is from King Lee Minho. His messenger brought this. " Hyunjin took the letter, ripping of the seal. 

"He wants to meet. Tell him he is welcome." He said returning the letter back to General Byol.

"As you order,  my king." 

"I think Shin Wooyoung is planning another attack to Lee kingdom. King Minho might ask us for help. Call Commander San and tell him to bring details about our number of soldiers and weapons."

General Byol nodded his head before moving out.

Hyunjin stare at the closed door before shaking his head disappointingly. He can never catch a break.

........

A/N: New story i guess...hehehe...