Dad?

Avia's POV

"Gramma?" I ask looking up at her as she cooks.

"Yes baby?" She says as she stops what she's doing.

I've been nervous to talk to my Mom about this, no one ever talks about my Father, but it makes me so curious.

"Do I have a Dad?" I ask slowly and I can see her tense up.

"Avia! Come get changed babe!" Mom calls from upstairs. I look back as Gramma and she gives a soft smile.

"We'll talk about this later."

I slowly and carefully make my way up the stairs, I'd like to say I'm almost back to normal, but they want to be sure, so I have my casts on for extra time.

"Do you want to wear shorts and a shirt or a dress?" Mom asks as she holds up a dress.

"Dress!" I say and she smiles and begins to dress me up.

I stare at her face as she makes funny expressions while helping me, I can't help but think about what I was asking Gramma about. She would know right? I mean they pretended to be my parents for the first few years of my life.

"Mommy?"

"Hmm?" She says as she finishes putting my hair in a ponytail.

"Do I have a Dad?" I ask and feel her freeze.

She grabs my shoulders and turns me around to face her. "Why are you asking that?" She says with a concerned face.

I shrug, "I don't know, all of my friends have Dads and I just never heard about my real Dad, other than Grampy."

She takes a deep breath and closes her eyes.

"Let's go over here" She says and closes my bedroom door, as we both sit on my bed.

She pulls me onto her lap, "You do have a Dad honey, he actually gifted you that makeup set you love so much."

My eyes grow big, "Wait, he went to my party?" I ask and she shakes her head.

"No, he just dropped it off for me to give to you. He is going through some things right now and when the time is right and you're a little older, we can talk about it more." She says carefully. I can tell she doesn't like talking about him.

That makes me wonder if he is a bad person. Now I'm scared and don't know if I should've even asked. I'm already happy with our little family.

"What are you thinking about my love?" She asks me as she rubs my arm.

"I love you Mommy. The most!" I tell her, hopefully trying to brighten up her mood after asking her.

"Oh honey, I love you even more." She says and gives me kisses all over my face.

The door opens, "What are you two up to?" Gramma asks walking in, closing the door behind her.

Mommy looks at me with a big smile, "Nothing, just admiring my daughter." Which made me giggle.

"I asked Gramma too" I say quickly which makes Mom's face drop again. Oh no.

"It's okay baby, you were just curious." Mom says.

Gramma sits next to us on the bed, "Just know everything we are doing right now is what we're doing to keep you safe. We love you so much, so don't be afraid to ask questions."

Mom nods her head and rocks me back and forth in her arms.

I inhale her fresh scent and smile. It made me realize, although my first thoughts of Mommy were her being my sister, I can't see her as anyone else other than my Mom. I like it that way.