Chapter 7

Alejandro stood in the dark garden of the Bree mansion. The black wooden house seemed like a void standing in another void, shade-lighted, with yellow squares shedding beams of light into the night. He could see movement inside, so he pressed against one of the many sturdy big trees growing in the garden. He didn't breathe, he didn't move, he didn't dare to blink for fear of being discovered. Not that he had to do any of those things but moving, but the last few days of pretending to be human had made him very cognizant of it when he wasn't acting. It had become rather normal, perhaps even the new norm.

He finally spotted it, a towel jammed in a window to keep it ajar in one of the towers on the 3rd floor. He let out a sigh of relief and transformed into a bat. Silently, he flew across the second story, avoiding the light agilely, but with great stress, finally grabbing onto the towel. Despite the popular myth, he wasn't blind in bat form, his eyesight was actually rather good. He didn't need to let out a single shriek.

Peeking in carefully, he spied a spacious bedroom, one that in the light seemed bigger on the inside than the dark outside had let on. There was a desk under the window, with a desktop computer and lots of scattered papers on it, ages-old schoolwork and books. The room was themed, the walls were bare wood-stained pastel green, and the bedspread and various curtains around the room had a matching white swirling claw pattern on a vibrant green background. The door right next to the desk on the left had a curtain covering it, and underneath the curtain peaked the backside of a horse painted on the wooden door. At the back of the room was a full wall mirror, also with a curtain above it, although that one had been rolled up. Against the left wall, in front of the mirror was a double bed with bedside tables on both sides made from glass and wood. A light hung above the bed on the wall, one that matched the one above the work desk. They were shiny but clearly made of old metal, likely reclaimed from outdoors somewhere. There was a floor lamp next to the door too, made from the branch of a tree, and another lamp was on one of the bedside tables. The room had been carefully lit evenly in every corner. Overall, it was meticulously matched, the only item not coloured white, green or light wood were the two yellow, brown and orange striped floral patterned rugs placed on the floor. Even they were at the same time imperfectly placed, yet perfectly fully filled the space.

On the bed lay a big burly man in his black underwear, spread across the messy covers willy-nilly, staring distressedly at his phone. Now satisfied that Fetcher was alone, Alejandro dared to enter. Fetcher only noticed him once he had crawled over the desk and gotten on the floor to transform. He flung his phone aside and sat up right as Alejandro stood again. Fetcher's head was tilted in curiosity as he studied him, then a smile spread on his lips.

"You match my decore perfectly," he informed Alejandro with a low whisper. Alejandro glanced down at his lime green flannel shirt.

"I suppose I do," he smiled in response.

"I think that thing would look better on the floor," Fetcher continued with his low seduction voice. Alejandro stared at him wordlessly, which confused him. "I'm flirting," Fetcher clarified. Alejandro didn't reply immediately. He looked Fetcher up and down with a disappointed expression. Then he sighed to collect strength.

"Cringe," Alejandro sighed to himself in anguish. Just saying the word pained him. Fetcher rolled his eyes.

"Is my flirting not posh enough?" Fetcher stood up and walked closer.

"Posh? I will have you know, I'm Spanish, not a Brit!" Fetcher seemed only encouraged by this.

"Really? You kinda talk like a Brit tho." Now he had gotten almost skin-to-skin with Alejandro. Alejandro looked up in defiance.

"No te atrevas a llamarme pijo," Alejandro growled with his eyes squinted. Fetcher smiled and leaned to whisper in his ear,

"Fréname, ruco." Alejandro blinked at him blankly, though this time not with disgust.