Capítulo sem título 2

Eleazar tried to distract himself as he waited for Miriam to return. He couldn't wait to tell her about Philip, and he really wanted his wife to meet the boy.

He picked up a book and sat down, but he felt too restless to focus on reading. He sat for a while, waiting. Despite having his eyes focused on the book, his mind was elsewhere, flowing with ideas of what might happen, and his hands were fidgety.

It seemed like time had slowed down, but at the same time was passing at an incredible speed. He snapped out of the trance-like state when he heard a door being opened, and Miriam entered the room, her arms full of books. He rushed to help her, laying some of these books on a table he'd conjured.

"Let's look at these books you've brought." he said, a smile on his face. He scanned the covers quickly, unable to pay attention to what he was doing.

She smiled back, her grey eyes turned to him as she took out the ribbon tying her silver hair, which fell, stopping a little past her shoulders.

"Darling, I have something to tell you..." Eleazar blurted out.

"What is it?" she asked, sitting down. He did the same, trying to keep his thoughts in order.

"I met a boy earlier today at the market. He was unloading a cart next to Watson's stand, and he had issues carrying these massive sacks of potatoes. He looked to be around twelve and was of a thin build. Watson usually employs older, stronger boys. He said his name is Philip. I hope he's still there tomorrow, and that Watson hasn't fired him." he finished, looking almost out of breath.

"I see..." she said, the smile back on her face. "I think I'll go to the market with you tomorrow, to meet him. If he doesn't object, I could invite him for lunch. I doubt he gets well fed; with the miserable salary these poor kids get."

Eleazar looked at her, a wide smile on his face, his eyes twinkling. "I think it's a great idea."

He approached Miriam and hugged her tightly. They didn't have children, it wasn't on their cards, but if this worked out it would be marvellous. They could finally care for a kid, make his life better.