Capítulo sem título 3

The following day, Eleazar and Miriam went to the market. As they made their way to Watson's stand, Philip saw them and waved.

Miriam bought some vegetables while Eleazar got closer to Philip and greeted him in a low voice.

"Good morning, sir."

"Good morning, Philip. I'm glad I found you."

Miriam was finishing her shopping, a loaded basket on her arm. She approached her husband.

"Darling, this is Philip." He looked at Miriam, that twinkle in his eyes.

"Nice to meet you, Mrs..." Philip wiped his hands on his trousers, not knowing if he should shake Miriam's hand.

"Call me Miriam, please. My husband has talked a lot about you."

She didn't know if she should have said the last sentence, but Philip didn't look scared.

"Does your boss mind if you have lunch with us? The market is calm now, I'm sure Mr Watson can manage."

"I would love to. It's not like the boss cares about us outside of payday, and even then..." he stopped for a few seconds. "We usually eat the food that can't be sold, but it isn't much."

She wanted to hug the boy, but they waited until Watson closed the stall and turned the corner into the pub.

The three of them made their way to the flat. When they entered, Philip looked around, mesmerised. The decoration was simple, but it was so much better than the room he rented, shared with two other boys.

There were books in shelves and low tables, sharing space with artifacts Philip had never seen.

Miriam led him to a dining room and started setting the table. Philip wanted to help, but she didn't let him. Eleazar appeared a little later, carrying a tray with a roast.

They ate and talked, almost like a family. Philip found out that Eleazar was a professor but felt it would be impolite to ask for details.

After they finished eating, Eleazar did the dishes while Miriam and Philip talked next to him.

"There's a lot of roast beef left, and Eleazar and I can't eat it all. Would you like me to pack you a few sandwiches? You'd only need to come here and pick them up if we don't get to the market beforehand."

Philip opened his mouth to object, but she reacted fast.

"I'm more than happy to do it, do not worry. I just want you to be well-fed."

They talked until Philip had to leave, then Eleazar and Miriam went back to books and research. However, they couldn't focus, both so happy about their successful mission of sorts.