Chapter 18

"Not as long as Sandstorm is alive," Cinderpelt argued.

Sandstorm felt warmed by his faith in him and was about to respond when Blossompaw complained, his words muffled, "It's still bleeding, you know!"

"Not for long," answered Raggedpelt briskly. "Here, Cinderpelt. You make use of these cobwebs while I see to Sandstorm's wounds." She nudged the cobwebs closer to Cinderpelt and led Sandstorm away to her den. "Wait here," she ordered, and disappeared inside. She emerged with a mouthful of well-chewed herbs. "Now, where does it hurt?"

"This one's the worst," answered Sandstorm, twisting his head to point to a bite on his shoulder.

"Right," meowed Raggedpelt. She began to rub in some of the herb mixture with a gentle paw. "Oakstar's very shaken," she murmured, not looking up from what she was doing.

"I know," Sandstorm agreed. "I'm going to organize more patrols at once. That may calm her."

"It may help calm the rest of the Clan too," Raggedpelt remarked. "They're really worried."

"They should be." Sandstorm winced as Raggedpelt pressed the herbs deep into his wound.

"How are the new apprentices coming along?" she asked, her voice deceptively casual.

Sandstorm knew the old medicine cat was offering advice in her wise and indirect fashion. "I'll speed up their training, starting at dawn," he told her. Sorrow caught in his throat as he thought of Brightpaw. The Clan needed him now more than ever; no matter what the white and ginger apprentice had thought of the warrior code, no cat could deny that he was a brave and skillful fighter.

Raggedpelt stopped massaging his shoulder.

"Have you finished?" he meowed.

"Nearly, I'll just put a little on those scratches, then you can go." The old cat blinked at him with wide amber eyes. "Have courage, young Sandstorm. These are dark times for Thunderclan, but no cat could do more than you have." As she spoke, there was a low rumble of thunder in the distance, a hint of menace that sent a chill through Sandstorm's fur in spite of the medicine cat's encouragement.

When he returned to the main clearing, his wounds numbed by Raggedpelt's healing herbs, Sandstorm was surprised to find many of the cats still awake. Oakstar, Brindleface, and Mousefur crouched silently beside Dappletail's body, their grief made plain in their lowered heads and tense shoulders. The other cats lay in small groups, their eyes blinking in the shadows and their ears twitching nervously as they listened to the noises of the forest.

Sandstorm lay down at the edge of the clearing. The stifling air made his fur prickle. The whole forest seemed to be waiting for the storm to break. A shadow moved near the edge of the clearing. Sandstorm swung his head around. It was Darkstripe.

Sandstorm beckoned the striped warrior closer with his tail. Darkstripe slowly padded toward him. "I want you to take out a second patrol as soon as the dawn patrol returns tomorrow," Sandstorm meowed. "From now on there will be three extra patrols every day, and all patrols will have three warriors."

Darkstripe looked coolly at Sandstorm. "But I'm taking Dustpaw out training tomorrow morning."

Sandstorm's fur prickled with irritation. "Then take her with you," he snapped. "It'll be good experience. We need to speed up apprentice training anyway."

Darkstripe's ears flicked, but her gaze remained steady. "Yes, deputy," she murmured, her eyes glittering.

Sandstorm wearily pushed his way into Oakstar's den. Even though it was not yet sunhigh, he'd been out on patrol twice already that day. And he would be taking Brindleface's apprentice, Cloudpaw, out hunting this afternoon. The days since Dappletail's death had been busy. All the warriors and apprentices were exhausted trying to keep up with the new patrols. With Willowpelt and Tigerclaw in the nursery, Brindleface reluctant to leave his leader's side, Brightpaw gone, and Dappletail dead, Sandstorm barely had time to eat and sleep.