Chapter 24

"Raggedpelt!"

Sandstorm dropped Squirrelkit and yowled the medicine cat's name. The blood pounded in his ears as he listened for her reply, but he heard nothing except the dreadful crackling of the flames.

Squirrelkit crouched at his paws, pressing his small body against Sandstorm's legs. Pulsing with fear and frustration, and dimly aware of the pain from his singed flanks, Sandstorm grabbed him and raced up the slope back to Patchpelt.

The old she-cat hadn't moved. Sandstorm saw her chest weakly rising and falling and knew that Patchpelt would not be able to run to safety. He lowered Squirrelkit onto the ground. "Follow me!" he yowled before clamping his tired jaws onto Patchpelt's scruff. With a final glance down the burning slope, Sandstorm dragged the black and white she-cat away from the ravine into the trees. Squirrelkit stumbled after them, too shocked to mew, his eyes huge and unfocused. Sandstorm wished he were somehow able to carry both of them, but he couldn't leave Patchpelt to die where she lay. Somehow Squirrelkit would have to find the strength to survive the terrifying journey on his own paws.

Sandstorm followed the trail of the other cats blindly, hardly aware of the forest around him, even though he turned back every few moments to check that Squirrelkit was still keeping up. His last sight of the ravine filled his mind, a terrifying trough of flame and smoke that engulfed the camp, his home. And of Raggedpelt and One-eye, there had been no sign at all.

They caught up with the rest of Thunderclan at Sunningrocks. Sandstorm laid Patchpelt gently on the flat surface of the stone. Squirrelkit raced straight to Tigerclaw, who grasped him by his scruff and gave him a sharp, angry shake, choked by the purring that rose from her chest. Then she dropped him and began washing his smoke-stained fur with furious laps that softened to gentle strokes. The dark brown tabby queen glanced up at Sandstorm, her eyes glistening with a gratitude she could not begin to put into words.

Sandstorm blinked and looked away. It was beginning to dawn on him that Raggedpelt might be lost because he stopped to save Goldenflower's son. He shook his head violently. He couldn't think about that. His Clan needed him. He gazed around at the horror-struck cats who crouched on the smooth stones. Did they think they were safe here? They should have kept going to the river. Sandstorm narrowed his eyes, trying to spot Fireheart among the huddled shapes, but an infinite weariness made his legs feel heavier than stone, and he couldn't find the strength to get up and look for her.

He felt Patchpelt stir beside him. The old she-cat lifted her head, gasping for air, before collapsing into a coughing fit that brought Cinderpelt hobbling stiffly out from the throng of cats. Sandstorm watched as he pressed his paws heavily on Patchpelt's chest, desperately trying to clear her lungs.

Patchpelt stopped coughing. She lay still, strangely silent now that she was not even wheezing, and Cinderpelt looked up, his eyes brimming with sorrow. "She's dead," he murmured.

Shocked mews rippled back across the rock. Sandstorm stared at Cinderpelt in disbelief. How could he have brought Patchpelt this far, only for her to die? And on almost the exact spot where Graystripe had passed into the paws of Starclan. He looked anxiously at Cinderpelt, knowing he must be sharing the same thought. His eyes were shadowed with grief and his whiskers quivered as he leaned down to close the old she-cat's eyes gently. Sandstorm feared the pain would be more than he could near, but as the other elders padded forward to share tongues with Patchpelt, the gray medicine cat sat up and raised his eyes to Sandstorm. "We've lost another cat," he whispered, his voice ringing hollow with disbelief. "But my grief won't help the Clan."

"You're beginning to sound as strong as Raggedpelt," Sandstorm told him softly.

Cinderpelt opened his eyes wide. "Raggedpelt! Where is she?"