Adjustments

Lucien tries to convince Helion to let him tweak the Day Court Attire for himself.

*** *** ***

It had been six months since he moved to the Day Court and it wasn't that Lucien didn't like living in the Day Court, because he did. He absolutely did. It was just that he wasn't ... Lucien was working on adjusting to the lifestyle of the Day Court. The way things worked. Customs. The way of life.

He was not yet announced as Helions son, and for that, he was grateful. He was not sure he was ready for the whole of Prythian to look at him as if he were different. As if he were not the same male he had always been before. He was especially not ready for the way this would affect his mother.

He knew his father would be embarrassed and would 'have a discussion' with his mother. At least, that's what his father always told the servants. Everyone knew what 'having a discussion' meant though. But no one would speak against his father, lest they- No.

The male was not his father. Had never been. He'd only raised Lucien, the two of them believing him to be his father. This had been the hardest adjustment to make.

While Lucien had loathed the male for most of his life, Beron had still raised him as his own son. He always made it very clear what he thought of Lucien, but he still raised Lucien as his own son. It was very difficult to stop calling the male father.

He was trying, though, because he could see, when talking to Helion, every time he slipped, Lucien saw the anger in Helions eyes, barely hidden. The first time, Lucien apologized. Shocked, Helion told him not to apologize, that it was not his fault. He was frustrated that Beron was the one to raise him, and got that title, while he was left in the dust.

Even though he was told that anger he saw each slip was not his fault, Lucien still felt more guilty than the last. But, he instead would change the topic, swiftly, and expertly, trying to convince Helion that there must be pants he could wear, that fit the attire of the Court.

Three months later, and still Luciens status in the Day Court remained a mystery to the rest of Prythian. Though he was hearing whispers all over during his travels, and everyone had now learned of his move. Someone was a quick gossip. In his line lf work, Lucien had quickly learned that, unless the information was life threatening, he was to always wait many months more than this before gossiping, so the people involved would not have their heckles rise quite so high. Just as Luciens had been at that moment.

The gossip was crucial, and he would often recieve more truthful gossip in return. But the only people who knew, were Elain, Feyre, Rhysand, Helion and his mother, as well as himself. Unless others knew, and would let the secret out, thus putting his mother in harms way, and-he wasn't paying attention, as someone bumped into him, spilling their deep red shirt all down his rediculously expensive coat.

He'd bought it with Tamlins' money, back when they were friends. When Tamlin didn't care about Lucien using his money, as long as he looked the part and did his job. Thinking about it now, he didn't feel bad about using so much of Tamlins' money. Tamlin didn't care. He didn't even ever notice it he had so much. Lucien could have gotten fifteen of these expensive coats. The coat that was now ruined.

He heard Feyre call out from across the tavern, something about Mr. Stylish, not being stylish now. Lucien felt his cheeks warm.

He honestly didn't know why Feyre would choose this place for her birthday. Or the night before her birthday, really. He also didn't understand why she would insist on Lucien coming as well. But an invitation from Feyre was not to be ignored.

Lucien simply shrugged out of his jacket and decided to give it to some female who was just about to leave. It was December, and he didn't want her to freeze. He didn't notice as a golden brown haired female walked up to the female, demanding the jacket, while offering her a different jacket in return.