Chapter 11

Thank you for reading Enjoy

Chapter 11

Madeline

At the sound of the doorbell, I assumed it was Isabelle and Callie as Sawyer had warned me they would be coming this afternoon. Going to the door, I peeked through the tiny spy hole and saw I'm right.

Opening the door, I'm immediately wrapped into a bear hug by the two women. "Oh! Oh...Kay. Hi, I wasn't expecting this."

I'm not used to this kind of physical affection with anyone. I've seen it plenty, Georgia, and Isabelle are very affectionate with their family. I'm not that. I'm a stranger.

So what do they want from me?

Suspicious of the hug, I step back to allow them in and Callie drags a long mobile rack of clothes in behind her while Isabelle carries bags and boxes from Bergdorf Goodman and Saks Fifth Avenue. I only know that from the bags. I've never shopped at either store.

"Sawyer filled us in on what happened last night. Are you okay?" Isabelle asks, with her arm around my shoulders, she guides me inside and to the couch.

"Could you please put those over there?" Callie directed two men who pushed a luggage carrier in with more racks of clothes and bags.

"I'm fine. Really. Just a little tired." I didn't sleep. How could I? I'm in this ridiculous situation because I talked to Sawyer. It's not his fault. He tried to get me out of there as fast as possible. It's not his fault my picture was on the news this morning, all over the social media streams last night.

None of them have any information on me. Tennison won't talk to them. I won't tell them anything. That leaves Sawyer and he doesn't know anything about me. I should be safe. Unless I'm recognized and he decides to make me run again.

"You didn't sleep." Isabelle stroked her fingers through my hair as only a mom does. "We understand that. We've been in your shoes, Madeline. It's never a good thing. But you aren't alone in this."

The doorbell rings again and Callie gets up to get it. I hear laughter and another set of female voices before the door closes and the newest arrivals join us.

Mrs. Bradford walks in, looking at everything. From the motherload of clothes and boxes to the furniture and decor. The woman with her I've never met but I've seen her in plenty of society articles. Tess Drake, daughter of the late Senator from California who was sent to prison for abusing her. She is also Sawyer's mother.

"Well it looks like we got here just in time!" Georgia puts her neon glasses on top of her silver hair and grins at me. It always makes me smile to see her in her bright happy colors and her cool sophistication few can pull off.

"Madeleine, this is Tess Drake, Sawyer's mother. Tess, Madeline Maxwell." Isabelle introduces us.

Standing up, I hold out my hand to greet her. "It's nice to meet you. And it's good to see you again Mrs. Bradford. I'm truly sorry for all the trouble. I'll be out of here within the hour."

"Why? Do you not like the apartment? I'm sure we can fix up a different one if you'd like." She walked past me to the huge window. "Although I think you have the best view of the city."

"No! It's not that I don't like it. I just don't belong here. I appreciate Sawyer helping me last night but all the fuss isn't necessary. I can get a cab and go home." And I'll lose my tip money from last night but I'll deal with it. I'll just pick up a shift this week.

"You don't know." Tess said, looking at the other three for confirmation.

"We just got here too." Isabelle informed them.