10 - Maybe Both, Maybe Neither

TW; Mentions of alcoholism/AA meetings | 18+ MDNI

A/N: This chapter introduces a very mild crossover with Christian 'Kras' Anthony from the band Chase Atlantic - he's being used as a fun little temporary reoccurring side character. Don't worry, knowing who he is isn't necessary to understand his character lol i just think he's cute<3

-

NICHOLAS

A jarring buzzing jolts me awake. I sit up a bit with scrunched eyes trying to follow the noise with a wandering patting hand. The noise leads to Vallie's phone rattling on my bedside table next to her. I grab it and sleepily ignore the call out of habit.

In my still half-sleep state, I don't want to be anywhere else besides where my body was curled up against her. I return to my spot with my arm around the brunette, tugging her closer. Her scent fills my nostrils when I nuzzle into her neck. The smell of her hair is peppermint-y and the scent on her skin reminds me of marshmallows and... matcha?

Whatever it is, it's warm, cozy, and smells so yummy it makes me want to eat her again.

Before I have the pleasure of manifesting that thought into reality, her phone goes off vibrating again, this time making me significantly more aggravated.

I snatch the phone looking at her caller ID – the name plastered across the screen:

Christian

with some emojis I'm far too sleepy to decipher.

Christian?

I decide not to ignore her phone call from an evidently urgent caller.

"Hey, Hey." I gently nudge her shoulder. "Your phone has been going off."

She lets out a sleepy groan that is probably the cutest noise I've ever heard.

She takes one look at the ID and immediately ignores it and shoves it under the pillow.

Odd.

She yawns and rubs her eye, "What time is it?"

"I'm not sure." I try to look at the edges of my window covered with blackout curtains trying to gauge even the time of day. "You have your phone, check it?"

Her fingers tap against the mattress. "It's not that important."

"Who's Christian?" I blurt out without thinking.

From the angle I'm at, I can see her eyes widen a bit at the question.

She clears her throat. "What?"

"The person who kept calling you. It was someone named Christian?"

"Oh um," She bites down on my lip, seemingly contemplating her answer. "He's a friend."

I'm filled with a feeling I'm not sure I enjoy nor one I should be feeling.

"A friend?" I ask, unconvinced.

It's none of my business. It doesn't matter who he is.

"Yeah, a friend." She scrunches her brows at the wall. "Why do you care who's calling me?"

"I-I don't." I reply but I know I'm a shit liar and I probably don't sound very convinced. "I was just wondering."

"Right." She yawns then gets up in a panic like she just realized where she is. "Oh my god we fell asleep."