19: Teacher Zhang

Shu Yue was sitting by the small table and pouring tea into her cup when Xiao Ran returned to her room, but this time he wasn't alone. Putting the teapot down, Shu Yue rose and cupped her fist to pay her obeisance.

"Greetings, Elder Lu. I wonder what brings you here?"

Lu Baiyu snorted. "No need to act so polite. I'm sure you know well why we're here."

A boy in a white robe stood next to Lu Baiyu, his long dark hair up in a half bun. It was Lu Rui, the second young master of the Lu family. Lu Baiyu mentioned yesterday that he was eleven years old, which made him one year older than Chen Ru--but Lu Rui seemed to be smaller than him.

"This must be Second Young Master," Shu Yue said as he looked at Lu Rui.

The boy blinked and stared at her, his expression curious.

"My name is Chen Yue," Shu Yue introduced. "I believe you met Teacher Zhang yesterday. I was his student once."

At the mention of Teacher Zhang, Lu Rui's eyes widened and his eyes sparkled with excitement. "Really? Teacher Zhang was Chen Older Sister's teacher once? The foxman told me that you participated in Granpa's sparring competition yesterday and beat a man bigger than you! Is that true?"

Shu Yue fought the urge to chuckle. His enthusiasm was just like Chen Ru's. She nodded at him. "That's true."

"Teacher Zhang must be a great teacher!"

"Indeed he is. I heard he sparred with you yesterday?"

"He did! I learned so many things about swordplay in a single day. He's such an amazing teacher!"

A slow smile spread over Shu Yue's lips. "I heard he is taking an apprentice now." She glanced at Lu Baiyu when she felt his glaring eyes upon her. He appeared like he wanted to say something to stop Shu Yue from giving Lu Rui an idea, but he remained silent. "Also, Teacher prefers to train his student at his own place, so anyone interested in his teaching must be willing to reside in his place."

Lu Rui tugged at the old man's sleeves. "Granpa, grandpa. I want to become Teacher Zhang's apprentice. He is better than Teacher Xie. With Teacher Zhang personally instructing me, I will improve quickly. Please, grandpa."

"Patience, kid," Lu Baiyu said as calmly as he could. "This is something that needs to be discussed first."

Lu Rui pouted but obeyed his grandfather.

"Please have a seat." Shu Yue sat back down in her seat and poured two cups of tea for them.

Silence fell in the room as Lu Baiyu and Lu Rui occupied the seats across from her. Xiao Ran remained standing at the door with his vigilant eyes fixed on Lu Baiyu, even though he knew the old man would not pull any tricks or attempt to harm his master.

"So," Lu Baiyu began, breaking the silence, "where is this Teacher Zhang? It's better to discuss this and make a decision if he's here. I want to speak to him personally. Otherwise," he glanced at Lu Rui, "we'll just come back another day."

"But, grandpa," Lu Baiyu complained, "what if it's too late and he's already chosen an apprentice?"

Lu Baiyu maintained a neutral expression, but it was clear that he wanted it that way. He didn't want Teacher Zhang to be Lu Rui's teacher, as he seemed to be aware of what Shu Yue was up to, and yet he couldn't refuse his grandson's request and disappoint him.

Shu Yue could hardly suppress a smile as she took a sip of her tea. "I believe Teacher is already on his way and will arrive soon."

"It seems like you're well prepared," Lu Baiyu said in a calm voice, shooting her a glare as sharp as daggers. "You know we are coming, so you already asked that teacher to come here today."