Chaper one | the same old start

The man desperately tries to open the front door, in slow motion I fling myself towards it and lock it just in time. I shake with fear as I slowly turn my head towards the back door and as I turn my head back to face the front door, the man is gone.

Just as I start scurrying for the back door the man walks right through it, almost as if he moved at the speed of light. I back away as he makes his way toward me.

"Scarlett.." I continue backing away and try to reach for the drawer in which held all the cutlery without taking my eyes off the man.

"SCARLETT!! You're going to be late, did you stay up all night again?"

I take in my mothers deep sigh even in my half awoken state of fear. I sigh a breath of relief before I quickly sit up.

"SHIT what time is it?!" I jump out of bed and look at the old childhood clock on my bedside table. It reads 7:45 which only makes me move faster.

I'm no longer thinking of the nightmare as I quickly race to the bathroom to brush my teeth and start getting ready, just as I reach the door my brother darts in front of me.

"Haha sucker! You snooze you lose!" He flips me off.

I yank him by the back of his shirt and pull him back before darting in.

"Yeah nice try shithead!" I immediately grab the toothpaste and slap it on the toothbrush, I hear the faint sound of my brother complaining to my mom about the occurrence and I smirk to myself.

Once I get back to my room I check the time once again, 7:50. "God damnit!" I hear the sound of a jeep honking aggressively outside and I already know Valerie is here.

"Just a minute just a minute!" I shout despite the fact that no one can hear my frustration but me.

I quickly throw on my white skirt, not too short but not long enough to look like a nun. I pair it with a tight white long sleeve and a pair of cute white sneakers, I grab my backpack and dart downstairs.

I race for the front door, "Bye to you too!" My mom calls out as I open the front door.

"Bye mom love you!" I flash a quick smile before putting a pep into my sneakers as I race to Valerie's car.

I quickly hop in and I'm immediately hit with the overwhelming smell of her vanilla scent.

"Hey Val!" I give her a quick hug.

"Jesus woman, took you long enough!" She lets out a breathy laugh as we take off from the front of my house.

I'm never excited for the first day of school, I've done it for thirteen years but the sinking feeling in my stomach never goes away. There really is nothing to be nervous about, I mean living in a small town like Florence, you never expect anything new but my anxiety says otherwise.

Valerie on the other hand, she has confidence like no other. I don't think I've ever seen her nervous about anything.. like ever. We've been best friends since freshman year and don't get me wrong I love her, but her ego is almost as big New York City.

We hop out of her Jeep, the smell of vanilla following us out. I take in deep breaths and let out sighs as we make our way inside.

Per usual, people are crowded around outside, gawking and whispering.. what's new.

We waste no time walking right in and going to our lockers, we stand there before familiar faces start flooding in.