Chapter twelve | obsession

Dominik and I were doing the usual, sitting in his dark basement smoking a blunt. Every time we smoked together we acted like two idiots.

"Dude, have you ever thought about like.. what people were doing on the Mayflower?" Dominik asks in a serious tone while looking at the ceiling, looking like he wanted to crack up at his own question.

I can't help but burst out into laughter, I didn't laugh much anymore but something about the weed Dominik had never failed to leave tears brimming on the edge of my eyes.

"They were literally dying Dominik, they caught diseases and shit." I say trying to hold together my laughter.

"Okay man that's not funny." He says before ashing the blunt and passing it back to me.

This makes me laugh even harder, it really wasn't funny but the high was slowly creeping up on me. I could tell Dominik was already there.

I put the blunt out, knowing we both had more than enough.

"So Dominik, who do you have your eyes on? There has to be someone you fancy right?" I ask looking over at him curiously.

He sits up and sits criss cross, staring at the wall before turning to me.

"Do you know a girl named Valerie?" He asks.

I think for a moment, Valerie.. Wait, like Scarlett's friend? The one she mentioned at the party?

"Oh no shit?" I ask raising both of my eyebrows.

"You know her? Dudeee.." he drags on.

"She's so gorgeous.." he trails on, almost lost in thought.

I've never heard Dominik talk about a girl this way, usually she was 'bad' or 'fine', but he seemed like he really took some interest in her.

"Yeah she's alright." I say, I mean yeah Valerie was cute and all but nothing like Scarlett.

"Wait, isn't she friends with Scarlett?" I ask, making sure I wasn't getting her mixed up with someone else.

"Yeah.. you know Scarlett?" He asks curiously.

"Yeah, I know a thing or two." I chuckle.

"She has a serious attitude problem." I say, thinking back on all the times she threw attitude at me. That thought alone makes my jaw tense.

"I don't know her well enough to know all of that, but she's bad as hell."

There's Dominik.. I think to myself.

"Hey man." I say a bit sternly and he's taken aback by it.

"Wait a second.." He turns his full attention towards me.

"Do you have the hots for her?" He asks with a surprised expression in his voice.

"I don't know man, something about her fucks with my head." I say looking away from him and slouching back against the wall that his bed was pushed up against.

"Don't all women fuck with our heads?" He asks with a chuckle behind his words.

"Yeah, I guess you're right about that.." I say in agreement.

I knew full well that Scarlett wasn't just another girl I was going to think about for a week and forget about, she was so different.. So significant. She made me feel like I was going crazy, and I've never felt that way about anyone.. Ever.

He nods and I sigh, I checked the time on my phone and it read 12:45 AM.

"Shit man it's getting late, I better get going." I say as I start to get up and grab my jacket.