Chapter 13 - First Pride

"Yes!" Bluey muttered under zir breath when they stopped at New Farm Park for the Brisbane Pride March.

"See ya!" Bandit and Bingo waved to Chilli and Bluey.

"I'm so excited!" Bluey says confidently. 

Bluey has always loved watching the Pride March on T.V since ze was 6, ze never had thought that ze would actually be in the Pride March, on T.V! The reason ze loved The Pride March so much is unknown, but Chilli and Bandit could assume ze loved it because everyone was so proud, fearless and colourful.

"I'm excited too!" Chilli replied to Bluey with a smile.

Chilli and Bluey went to the middle of the park to find the Glass House Primary School's meeting area. 

At last, they found it.

The whole thing is ran by Calypso, Bluey's first grade teacher.

"Calypso!" Bluey said with excitement while running up to the mat the banner that said "Glass House Primary School" on it.

"Hey, Bluey! I haven't seen you in what seems like forever!" Calypso said to the overly excited pup.

"When does the March start?" Bluey said with curiosity.

"About... an hour and thirty minutes."  Calypso said smiling.

"Aeugh!" Bluey moaned.

Bluey slowly walked to the corner of the banner and sat down, started blowing dandelions soon after. 

Soon after Chilli and Calypso had a chat, Chilli sat down next to Bluey and started blowing dandelions with zir.

"How long is it until the March starts?" Bluey repeated.

"Mmmm..." Chilli looked down at her wrist. "30 minutes." 

"AEUGHHHH!" Bluey moaned again while laying down on the grass. 

Chilli laid down on the grass with Bluey. 

Suddenly, these random thoughts started to appear in Bluey's head. "Can I really be anything?" "Is anyone going to stop me?" They came out of nowhere.

So out of context.

So random.

No explanation.

"Hey, mum." 

"Yeah?" 

"Can I really be anything?"

Chilli sat up and looked at Bluey.

"The short answer is yes, but no."

"Oh."

"I'm not done, You can be anything you want. I'm not stopping you, neither is your father. People have their own opinions and thoughts, people will sometimes try to stop you. They either have a reason or don't. They might convince you to change your thoughts and opinions. Or not. Don't listen to them. Don't ever have someone take advantage of you, you are the boss of your own body. But you sometimes feel like you have to, they might threaten you, it might be the law. No matter what you have to follow the law. Bluey, you can be anything. Everyone will still love you. Everyone will still be here for you. No one will care."

                                                                              30 minutes later...

"We're about to go on, Bluey! Remember to be yourself and be proud of who you are!" Chilli says with confidence.

"I will!" Bluey says with the most joy ze had in a while. 

"Here we go!!" 

As soon as Bluey stepped on the street, a angel took away all zir problems. All the haters. It's just about me. No giving a damn.

A whole street to ourselves.

Full of pride.

Full of love.

Full of no one giving a damn.

Pushing the haters away.

This is what a true safe space feels like.

Supportive messages, Love, Acceptance and all of that wonderful stuff.

All in the grasp of Bluey.