✧ ii.

ᴀꜱ ꜱᴛᴀᴛᴇᴅ ʙᴇꜰᴏʀᴇ, Kamisato Ayato disliked small talk and other such pleasantries. He preferred people just get straight to the point, no time for ambulatory greetings. Usually, he had no choice but to exchange such words, seeing as he wouldn't want to damage his father's reputation, but when possible, he avoided them like the plague.

Now stuck 24/7 with his new bodyguard, this predicament became oddly silent for the Kamisato rather quickly. Since (M/N) didn't speak much either, the two were like a pair of atoms, always sticking so close yet never touching or interacting.

Ayato watched (M/N) from afar, picking up bits and details about the man with his keen eye. He noticed how the teen always seemed to wear monochrome or desaturated colours, probably as not to attract attention, though he supposed it was hard when one had a sword strapped to their waist at all times.

One little tidbit about the warrior that almost never changed, however, was his bamboo samurai's hat. It was broad brimmed and flat, with (M/N) wearing it at every waking second when they were outside. It obscured his face, gave him shadow, and–most importantly, in Ayato's opinion–looked good with him, complimenting his (H/C) hair.

Entranced by the swordsman, Ayato eventually found himself starting conversations and conversing freely, something that he insisted that he hated. No, it was different when it comes to (M/N). The two were going to spend every waking moment together, so it was obligatory to at least know some things about the other, right?

What started off as a simple "so... why did you get this job?" devolved quickly into much more in depth conversations about anything the two could set their focuses on. Ayato quickly discovered that (M/N) was very into much of the same topics as he; his parents had obviously done their research before hiring and for that, he was glad.

At night, when Ayato laid in bed, supposed to be asleep, (M/N) sat on the other side of the paper-thin Shoji wall, keeping watch. However–as the average teen would—he'd never actually rest until midnight, keeping up whispered conversations with the other boy through the wall.

They spoke of swords and literature, calligraphy and snacks. Before long, the two were attuned to the other's thoughts. Before this, Ayato could never truthfully say he had a real friend. Sure, the other kids would play with him and he had his sister too, but none of them were truly companions to him. As a result of his father's powerful job and exquisite riches, he was in turn secluded from the other teens, never able to relate to them at all.

Besides, as he got older, he had larger concerns revolving around the Yashiro commission. Seeing as he was going to inherit the business eventually, it was better to start off early and what better way was there to do it than with a brand-new friend at your side?

Perhaps he was getting a bit too comfortable with (M/N). Most times, the older teen wasn't an employee to him, but something more... casual, like a classmate or simply a visiting friend who happened to be around... all the time.

Honestly, who could blame him? If Ayato had a dollar every time that he caught himself staring longingly at the (H/C) boy while he practised with his sword or moved gracefully down the halls of the estate, he'd probably be rich enough to take over the commission already. Despite the clear signals that his heart was desperately trying to confess, he ignored his internal struggle, chalking it up to a simple, he's new around here, I'm just staring because I'm not used to it.

Days passed, then weeks, then months. The two went out frequently, (M/N) never forgetting to arm himself to protect Ayato should he need it. So far, Inazuma was peaceful, as always, so neither had needed to worry too much. Ayato introduced his bodyguard to the community, happy that the teen fit in just fine with everyone else.