✧ iii.

ᴛᴏ ᴇᴠᴇʀʏᴏɴᴇ'ꜱ ʀᴇʟɪᴇꜰ, (M/N) (L/N) sustained only superficial wounds apart from a stab to his abdomen. However, he was bed bound for at least a week before he could go back to his duties, albeit with some heavy limping. Thoma often helped him out, worried about his wellbeing as every single maid was. Many times, he almost had to by physically dragged back to his bed to get a wink of sleep to heal himself.

With the receding chaos of the assassination, (M/N) felt obliged to be at Ayato's side 24/7, his eyes wary and narrowed. The Kamisato he was protecting could sense the bodyguard's increasing tiredness from a mile away, though every timed he inquired on the matter, the swordsman would simply shake his head and mumble something offhand or look away.

One thing was certain, (M/N) was not as good of a liar as he was a swordsman. He bags under his eyes spoke mountains about his internal struggle and his movements lingered on a thin edge between cautious and exhausted. Ayato had told himself to let the (H/C) teen be, but his guilt bubbled and hissed with every passing moment. He was the reason that the older boy was overexerting himself!

(M/N) wasn't the only one looking tired these days. In fact, almost every official in the household looked on the verge of a breakdown. It seemed as if the failed assassination was only an initial incident for something of a larger, much more subtle scale. Whatever it was, Ayato didn't know, though he had his suspicions. Why else would his bodyguard stick so close? Why else would his parents be so much more protective and alert?

Just as Ayato walked down the hall beside (M/N), looking out at the rain and wondering when the entire situation would end, he felt the man beside him stumble. The samurai, usually quick on his feet, sank to one knee, a shoulder leaning against a wooden pillar, his breathing uneven and shallow.

"(M/N)!" The blue haired teen exclaimed, instantly kneeling down himself and reaching a hand out to touch the swordsman. The latter was coughing roughly, his eyebrows knit as he clutched the ground for support. Ayato hesitated, his hand on that black robed shoulder, feeling rippling muscles beneath the cloth. It suddenly occurred to him that he hadn't touched (M/N) before, well, he was never the one that initiated it. The sensation was almost foreign to him.

"A-are you okay?" He tried, trying desperately to get (M/N) to look up at him. The samurai gazed up with his (E/C) irises, wincing as he used the beam to attempt to stand again, "I'm sorry, Master Ayato. Don't waste your worry on me."

Ayato watched helplessly as the man tried to steady himself, only to wobble and collapse again. He drew closer, using his hand to keep (M/N) in place so that he wouldn't hurt himself any more. The (H/C) samurai groaned softly, rubbing his eyes as his inhales slowly steadied with a faint "damn..."

"H-how can I not worry about you?" the Kamisato said after a bated breath, his voice almost choking, "Just look at yourself! You're overworked and overexerting yourself all for my sake, I'm just not worth that!"

"Not... worth that?" (M/N) sounded incredulous as he raised his eyebrows, a disbelieving smile etched on his face as he shook his head, "Master Ayato, I speak not only as your bodyguard, but also your friend when I say this. You're worth everything I do for you. You're kind and thoughtful and handsome and honestly the best friend I've ever had-"

At this point, (M/N) had both his hands on Ayato's shoulders, speaking firmly as he subconsciously moved closer to the boy. He paused as he realized just how much the proximity has increased. The swordsman let out a small gasp before clearing his throat and shuffling backwards slightly, feeling his cheeks burn.

"...I mean all of this in a respectful and professional way, of course," he said in Ayato's shocked silence, slowly making his way to his feet. Stretching out his legs gingerly, he let out a low exhale, hoping that none of his spiel had come across as overbearing. When the Kamisato still abstained from speaking, (M/N) muttered a small "I'm sorry about that, maybe I should get some more sleep. Yeah, I'll go do that now."