Communication

Dear, perfectly lonely person.

This seems quite unfortunate, your tormentor does seem foul, I would hardly say fate brought us together, but I would say it's intriguing. The letter I received was intriguing, even how you signed it was intriguing. I honestly don't expect a letter in return, although it might be nice, but I hope you well.

With intrigue, someone.

I had read the new letter over and over again, I was quite surprised, mortified, and confused. Someone had read my letter, the letter I had written so no one, and no one only could read it, and someone had replied. I went to pick up my pen to write a reply, but what should I write, I was in utter shock

"Lindsey are you gonna come to breakfast?!" A girl in my dorm, Sophie Robbingsworth, asked me. Sophie was nice enough, but I never thought we clicked.

"Uh sure yeah Sophie, be right there!" I said taking one last glimpse at the letter I received before grabbing my letter to my parents and heading out of my dorm to breakfast.

The halls where quite busy, Malfoy was there being a git to some first year. I made sure to avoid him, and when I arrived in the great hall I sat down at the far end of the Hufflepuff table as to not interrupt people's personal space. Sophie sat with her friends, and I sat alone. I grabbed myself some oatmeal and finished that up quickly. I couldn't stop thinking of that reply I had gotten. I grabbed a napkin and a random pen I had in my robe pocket and wrote down a response.

Dear, someone

Sorry for the odd response I didn't have any parchment near, although I'd say your response is odd as well, you kept saying intriguing, although I wouldn't say that word described me at all, I'm more boring than most. And yes my tormentor sucks, thank you for the kind odd response. I have to say it was surprising to find your letter, to say the least. But it was also kind of refreshing. I don't talk to others much, but writing helps me express me thoughts into words. I wish you well, as well. Is it possible we could stay in touch, as pen pal sort of thing? If so what should I call you?

With surprise, a perfectly lonely person.

It was refreshing someone hearing my thoughts, I liked it. "What's that there?" Sophie asked sitting next to me while grabbing a bread roll. Sophie was rather curious, and very blunt, but popular among the Hufflepuff house. She had short auburn hair, and hazel eyes, with a cute button nose, she somewhat resembled Alice in Wonderland.

"Oh uh, just a letter." I looked away, hoping for her not to question it further.

"Letters are nice" she said, stuffing her mouth with some toast. "Do you like writing Lindsey? I think it's quite boring, but it's cool if you like it!" She said rather excitedly.

"Um yeah, I guess I do, why?" I inquired.

"Just curious, for friends we really don't know a lot about each other, you know!" She exclaimed, glancing at the untouched bacon on my plate. "Are you gonna eat that?" I shook my head no, and she took the bacon and ate it. I was quite startled by her assumption.

"Friends? I asked

"Yeah, we have been friends since first year, remember!?" She said after finishing her plate. I never considered us friends, dorm mates yes, friends not really, but it would be nice to have a friend. I smiled at her before going to excuse myself.

"Uh excuse me, I have to drop my letter off now" I got up to head for the rectangular archway when a certain ash haired boy stoped me.

He gave me a look of recognization. "You, your that mudblood who bumped into me yesterday in the halls" I tried to avoid any confrontation.

"There's a lot of people in the halls at that time of day" I tried getting out of the way so I could hurry to deliver my message.

"No, no it was defiantly you, mudblood. I think I deserve an apology" he insisted smirking towards his friends.

"Trust me you haven't need to waste your time on me, I'm in a hurry so-" I once again tried to get past with no prevail.

"Let her through Malfoy!" A voice rang, it was Sophie, she got up and walked over towards us shoving Malfoy aside. Blaise stood up beside Malfoy pointing his wand in Sophie's face, she got her wand out as well.

"How dare you" Malfoy said "Wait till I tell my father!" He threatened.

I grabbed Sophie's sleeve pulling her arm away. "Sophie stop!" I looked towards Malfoy and apologized "I'm sorry for bumping into in the hall and I'm sorry for not apologizing sooner" I pleaded "Please let us be on our way!"

Malfoy smirked again "Down Blaise, the mudblood is right, she's not worth our time." As soon as he left I let out a breath I had been holding.

"You ok?" Sophia asked, concerned.

"I'm... used to it, but I really must be going" I said is I went to deliver my letter.

My first class of the day happened to be potions, which I wasn't particularly good at. In fact, I sucked at it.

"Hey Lindsey!" Sophie called "we're table mates, right?" She asked. I shrugged my shoulders. It was a bit odd. Sophie was trying to hang out with me, and she never had before.

"Uh, hey Sophie, why- um, why are you all of a sudden trying to hang out of me, I mean we never really talked before now" I asked bluntly.

"So you noticed that eh?" She sighed. "I felt a bit of pity for you." I frowned. What a way to build a friendship. "I don't mean it like hanging out with is is a burden or anything, your just so quiet, it's like you don't have a presence. I hadn't noticed till recently but I guess I felt bad, I didn't want you to feel lonely, and I guess you have that kind of look in you eye" She answered.

"A look in my eye?" I turned to her, stopping mid-hallway.

"Yeah, and it's not a content look either, it's sad. Look I'm sorry, I do wanna be friends" She added. "And I get this isn't the most normal way to start a friendship but, can we be friends?"

I thought for a moment before smiling. "Ok." I said before resuming our walk towards potions. I had made my first friend, I had done it! It was easier than I had thought, although the spike of anxiety had left my hands shaking, but who cares! I made a friend!