Brotherly Bond

Colby was fixing his hair in his room about to leave for school, when there was a knock on his door.

" Hey, can you drive me home after tryouts today?" asked Sam.

" Fuck no," said Colby. " I have plans."

" Mom said you have to," said Sam.

" Why do you always do this?" asked Colby.

" Do what?" asked Sam.

" Interfere with my life," said Colby. " Everything was perfectly fine before you showed up."

" Please, Colby, you're my brother," said Sam.

" Your dad may have married my mom, but we're not brothers," said Colby. " Not really. Especially at school. So no, I'm not driving you home after tryouts. When we're at school, don't talk to me, don't look at me and stay out of my life. Last thing I need is you messing up my reputation at school too."

Sam looked at Colby as he pushed past Sam into the hallway. They both hurried down the stairs and got into the car with their mother.

Later that day, Colby was on the field warming up with his team. Tryouts for football season had started and Colby couldn't be more excited. Football was his passion. He stretched out while talking to his teammates Jake and Corey.

"I'm telling you man, by this time next year, full scholarship," said Colby.

" Gotta get in shape first brother, stay away from the Taco Bell," laughed Jake.

" Oh, you're the one to talk," laughed Corey.

" Hey Colby, what's your brother doing here?" asked Jake.

All of them looked over to see Sam walking to the field. Colby huffed in annoyance and walked over to Sam.

"What do you think you're doing?" asked Colby.

" Trying out for the football team," said Sam.

Colby laughed. " Yeah right, you and football, not a good match," he said.

" Well, you never know until you try, right," said Sam.

" Whatever," said Colby. " Look, don't expect me to go easy on you just because you're my brother." Colby put that last word in air quotes.

" I wouldn't dream of it," said Sam.

Tryouts had gone well for Sam and Colby and the last half was going to be a scrimmage. Sam and Colby had been placed on opposite teams. Colby looked over at his teammate Jake, ready to take Sam down. Colby laughed to himself just thinking about it. Once their coach blew the whistle, Colby made his way towards Sam. Before Colby could even think, he was tackled by an opposing player and from the ground he saw Sam make an amazing catch and run towards the touchdown line. He slammed the ball down over the line as his team cheered. Colby pushed the opposing player off of him and walked over to Sam's team. Some of Colby's team was over there too.

" You have got to be kidding me," said Colby.

" Dude, that was amazing," said Jake, patting Sam on the shoulders.

" That was some playing out there son," said the coach. " What's your name?"

" Sam, Golbach," said Sam.

" Keep up that playing and we might have a hot new candidate for captain this season," said the coach.

Sam smiled widely as several players congratulated him. Colby pushed through the crowd of people.

" I bet that was really fun for you, huh," said Colby sarcastically.

" What are you talking about?" asked Sam.