Chapter 3

"Get away from me, hood," I yelled. "I-I'll call the cops or somethin'!" 

Nothing I said worked. Two-Bit just kept walking toward me and laughed. "Call the fuzz where?" Once he was close enough to me, he stopped and put his hands up. "Look, all I want is to talk to you."

For some reason, I wasn't as nervous when he said that, even though I know those words didn't at all guarantee my safety. I let my guard down a bit and kept piercing his eyes with my stare. "What do you want, Grease?"

He smiled. "Ooh, you're mean. You a soc or somethin' like that?" He took a step closer to me and my cheeks flushed.

"I ain't a grease and I ain't a soc, I'm just a girl tryna get home. Now leave me alone!"

"Tsk, tsk, tsk," he said, as he popped the collar on his leather jacket. "I know you're lyin', dollface. Just let me talk to ya', I promise I won't-"

"Quit callin' me dollface!" I yelled, and, out of pure instinct, punched him in the jaw. He touched his chin and blood appeared on his hand. I looked at my own hand, terrified, and stammered. "I-I'm sorry, I didn't mean to hit you-"

"That's all right. Just tell me," he said, as he lifted his Mickey Mouse shirt up to wipe the blood from his face, "what you were doin' eavesdroppin' on me, Darry, and Soda."

I figured lying about just trying to get home wouldn't help me anymore, so I decided not to do that. But instead of making up another lie, I, for some reason, told him the truth. "I heard arguing when I was taking the backroad home and...I wanted to hear what it was all about." He didn't answer me. "I'm, uh, friends with Christine."

Two-Bit smiled. "Oh, Soda's chick. Yeah, she's a doll if I ever saw one. Which..." he looked deep into my eyes and held my chin, "I think I have." I stood for a second, shocked. My face felt like it was on fire. I sincerely hoped he couldn't feel it. After a few moments, I realized and gently removed his hand from my face.

"Yeah, she's, uh...real pretty," I answered awkwardly.

Two-Bit looked me over and said, "Yeah. Well, I'll forget this ever happened. Just don't go snoopin' around anymore." I nodded my head quickly. "All right, then. Maybe I'll see you around." He started to walk away but then slowly turned back toward me. "Oh, and, uh, you may be needing this." He took my hand, placed my earring in it, and closed it.

I felt the ear near where he touched my face and realized the earring was missing. As he walked away, I yelled, "Filthy hood!" 

He didn't respond and just kept walking on, hands in his pockets. I smiled, placed my earring back in my ear, and started to find my way back home.