Prologue

Dedicated to Deadened Dreams

Long ago, in a time shrouded with the mist of memory; there was a slim girl, terribly young. Her eyes were blue as a sapphire, hair the color of pine bark- she was a strange little one, always separate from her peers. She would wonder away chasing butterflies, catching newts, or simply picking flowers.

Her mother was a muggle, and her father, a potioneer. This of course was the largest reason other children strayed away from her company; half-blood as they say.

Until one day, she met a dark boy, unlike her peers, more like her.  "Ethera Felborne'" would echo around his mind longer than she, or he, would realize.

So, from that day, together they would catch the newts, and the butterflies; embarking upon elongated walks to pick flowers. They laid in the fields and talked about everything, a sacred trust was held between them, albeit unspoken.

Many years came, and passed, many letters were exchanged between the two, many birthdays and special occasions spent together. Soon it was the time of ethera's eleventh year of life; both of them receiving acception letters through the daily mail.

Sorted into Slytherin, thrilled to bits when Severus joined her at the house table, ethera loved Hogwarts, she loved her one and only friend, Severus.

Every year, she would sit beside him in the train to Hogwarts. Until about fourth year. That's when Severus became obsessed with Lily, a girl in the same year as ethera. Though lily had always been Severus's friend, young ethera knew better than most- the eyes clouded with love are the blindest sorts.

And so, in the fifth year- Severus sat alone in the trolley; pondering the disappearance of his best friend. Unbeknownst to him, darkness brewed against the skies high above with a dark omen.

~~~present~~~
The ministry of magic had always been held in a drab, damp building. With choking sharp angles and ominous flooshing of nearby chimneys. Always a good place to catch a nasty jumpscare.

A sigh clawed at the back of my throat, begging to be let out; I despise politicians. Stupid of me to think teaching was a career far enough away from political 'Koo-koo'. A sniveling little man shrieks his gambles at me, and I nod absentmindedly, wishing so desperately his prattling would cease.

"...so Ms. Felborne, you are to be assigned to Hogwarts, school of witch craft and wizardry, alo-"

"Wait a tic." I extend my hand in a stop signal, "Hogwarts? I specifically put 'not Hogwarts' on my application."

"Ah well, unfortunately, I hope you can understand you've already been assigned and approved. It's imperative to te..." The mans face reddened.

My blood boiling in my ears tunes his rambling out. Great. Just absolutely great. "Bloody fine, just give me my release forms and a date to show up." I squawk, sitting up in my chair.

"As you wish, Ms. Felborne." Stamping the paper with vigor, he slides it my direction on his desk, "report to the school as soon as possible."

And with that I was strolling out of the humid hole of hellspawn as fast as I could, while maintaining a mask of being nonchalant.

~~~
Usually I would've took the train, or even apperation, but I chose this time to take my broom, via assistance by a bottomless bag I'd picked up before graduating university.

It was a long, perilous journey, but one that was worth it- even though I dreaded walking into the halls once more; seeing the lake at night again was enough to draw up the most bittersweet memories of this place. I prayed to whatever was watching that the boy I once knew had long since moved on from here.

I can remember so much, too much about him. His eyes, his smile, his hair- memories conjure a picture of him as if it's only yesterday...

 His eyes, his smile, his hair- memories conjure a picture of him as if it's only yesterday

The image lingers until nightfall, until I force the thought of him away from my mind. Nearing my destination by every passing moment, I see the rising hill on the horizon.

My heart wrenches as I step down from my broom, bag clutched in hand. Numerous eyes watched me from all angles, all staff, no students as it was far too early in the year. I tuck my broom into the bag before scaling stairs I'd hoped to never step on again. A smiling, familiar face greets me by the door.

"Oh, Minerva, how long has it been?" I can't help but to hug her neck, as there was a time she was like a sister to me.

"Merlin's beard, Ethera??" Her shocked tone brings a wave of painful memories over me; after what happened nearly fifteen years ago I never came back, never explained to anyone.