chapter 28

"Rainbow...we can't" Applejack repeated herself, trying to remind the desperate girl of their location who scratched the other's back in an attempt to raise the tension between the two. "We can't do it while all our friends are in the other room..."

Rainbow lifted her head from AJ's shoulder with a disappointed frown on her face as she forcefully slid out of the girls hold against the door till she met the floor. "...alright."

"Dash I thought we weren't going to do anything like that? I thought you said you were done with me." Applejack tried to interrogate, attempting to pull any information about what just happened and why. They both could still feel the heat between them, neither willing to move away from the other, AJ still pressing Dash to the door. 

Rainbow looked into the others green eyes contrasting the crimson flush that had risen on her cheeks due to their previous endeavours, she found it amusing how quickly she began to red. Yet, the question she was unable to answer herself built internal angst and she fought the discovery of why she did it, specifically contradicting what she said she would not do. 

"Whatever AJ." She responded, looking away and trying to slide out of the girls tough grasp. Not wanting to make her feel pressured or uncomfortable, Applejack just let it go, maybe they just wouldn't be gazingly fighting as much anymore after this. It's not much but it's a start. 

Rainbow lightly pushed AJ away and tried to open the door, Applejack needing to step back so they could both walk through. Upon opening the door, a surprised Sunset Shimmer was looking back at them, seemingly on her way back from the kitchen and her eyes darted between the two girls rapidly, taking note of AJ's blushed face and Rainbow's roughed-up hair. 

"...Hey guys..." Sunset greeted awkwardly as if she had walked in on something. Her mind flashed back to when Rarity was explaining her potential new found relationship with the cowgirl, causing further inquisition about what was going on and if what she thought the girls had done was factual.  

Applejack replied after smoothening her hair as if that didn't make her seem less suspicious, nudging Rainbow further through the doorway and out into the hall. "Hey Sunse-" But was cut off by a nervous attempt at covering up Shimmer's potential revelation. 

"I swear it's not what it looks like! I...uh...wasn't feeling too well! Yeah! And AJ was helping me...um...hold my hair back, incase I...let dinner...out...you know...yeah..." She frantically replied as she patted her face down as if wiping away sickness sweats and scratching her hair to acknowledge why her locks looked messier than normal. There was no way Sunset would fall for this, but it seemed as if she didn't really care, launching into a question before Applejack could provide a supporting comment. 

"Okay...well anyways, do you guys know if Twilight likes anyone right now? I mean I know we all tease her about Flash but like...does she actually like him? Or are her preferences...maybe more...feminine?" She asked, presenting her motives clear as day despite her trying to hide it.

Rainbow ready to change the conversation, jumped onto the Twilight bandwagon and started to tease her about it. "Twilight huh?" She cooed, sending a wink in her direction knowingly of what Sunset really meant. The girl quickly became more timid with an uncontrolled grin growing on her face as her blue eyes softened at the mention of her name. Dash swung an arm around Sunset's shoulders and began to walk with her back to Pinkie's room, softly engaging in conversation about the newfound information that was hardly incredulous. Applejack shook her head as she watched them walk away noting how quick Rainbow was to change the topic from one gay to another. As they made their way back to the bedroom to hopefully get some sleep, Twi caught her eye, sitting in the kitchen alone and furiously writing in her notebook, pencil between her teeth depicting her normal horse habits. 'Sunset does know she's basically attracted to a horse right...?' She thought before ridding it from her mind, keeping the happiness of her friend prioritised, weirdness aside. 

Whispering closely together when they got back to the room, Rainbow and Sunset continued to talk while AJ slipped back into her sleeping bag, uninterested in what they were saying and ready to sleep after whatever happened with Dash. 'It can only get better from here right...?' She thought as she replaced her hat back over her face to block the light seeping in from the crack in the door, drifting off to the murmuring of her friends. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was the morning of the next day and the girls had all resumed their interacting activities yet had migrated to the kitchen, half of them preparing breakfast for the others while the rest were laughing over videos on social media and were choosing songs to blare on Pinkie's large speaker to uplift the cooking mood. With the song 'How Long' by Charlie Puth echoing across the room, Applejack stopped her movement of stirring a bowl of pancake mixture and shot a look at Rainbow who had already met her eyes, yet instead of meeting AJ's egregious stare, Rainbow seemed oddly flirty yet vexed. As the rest continued with their happenings unknowing to the circumstances between the two girls, Rarity and Fluttershy twirled around each other singing the lyrics, 'Can't you blame my head and not my heart.' 

While Pinkie moved to the background bass as she sliced strawberries they were going to put ontop of the hot cakes, Sunset took a quick break from the saucepan with a flat beige dough utop it to nudge Twilight who was focused on her book into having some fun, singing 'She said boy tell me honestly, was it real of just for show,' which Twi returned a smile to, responding with the next line, 'She said, save your apologies...'

Knowing what lyrics were to come up next, AJ sheepishly ducked her head to focus on the bowl she was stirring, ensuring any excess powder stuck to the side was pushed into the thick batter. Everyone was having fun, singing the lyrics that had been embedded in their brain from years of hearing it in malls or on the radio. She could spy a shadow growing closer, looming behind her before the girl she was avoiding eye contact slid next to her, and began to mouth the words silently as they applied to their unique situation. 

"How long has this been goin' on?"  Dash raised her hand to tilt up Applejack's head to look at her as she continued. 'You've been creepin' 'round on me, while you're callin' me baby,' followed by an out-of-place wink, as if she wasn't hurt by the events at all, teasing her about her relations with Rarity, only further raising confusion in the blonde, pulling together these actions and those of the night before.  'You've been actin' so shady, I've been feelin' it lately, baby.' Emphasising the nickname she'd never called AJ before, her tone somewhat sultry, smothering the pancake mix with misplaced seduction. Applejack was smitten, she had no idea what was going on but she was allured. Maybe this was some form of revenge? Making her feel jealous and making her think the way she spoke was hot, similarly when they tried to upstage each other in hotness in the cafe. Before she could ask Dash, colourful wisps of hair whipped past her face as Rainbow made her way back to the other dancing girls, hands imitating the hold of a microphone as they tried to harmonise on the 'ooh-ooh-ooh,' and failing, ending in laughter from the participants and joking criticism of their singing, thanking each other for not having to harmonise in the battle of the bands. 

Taking a small break, they went to check their phones for any messages they had missed during the early festivities. As if they all read the message at the same time, a gasp escaped each of the three who checked their devices. Rarity being the first to break the news, she excitedly informed the others of the new text in all of their inboxes from a groupchat. 

"We've been invited to a party!"

---------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys! For those of u who want a personal reminder when I've updated, please leave a comment on the newest chapters and I'll remind u :) thank u for ur support of the story so far, it keeps me going.