Chapter 24

I woke up to an email from the team's publicist and GM saying I needed to come in for a meeting before practice. 

I changed into an orangeish-red matching workout bra and biker shorts. I put on white Nike socks and black running shoes. Coach told us we would be running lots of off-ice drills and workouts today.  I threw my hair up in a messy bun. I put on my black Ducks sweatshirt that had my number, Ducks, and our logo on it. 

I grabbed my workout bag, putting my water, and preworkout in it along with my change of clothes

I grabbed my workout bag, putting my water, and preworkout in it along with my change of clothes. I fed Ollie and gave him water on my way out the door. Lexie had to leave at the same time I did and she works right near the rink so she offered to bring me. We drove to the rink listening to Taylor Swift. We jammed out and sang along. She dropped me off in the player parking lot and I headed in. I went right up to the offices and I headed for the GM's office which is where the email told me to go. I knocked on the door, and I heard someone shout come in. I opened the door to see people sitting at the conference table he had in his office. At the table was Pat Verbeek General Manager, the two assistant General Managers Rob DiMaio and Martin Madden, Sammy Glantz the team's publicist, Coach Cronin, and then Trevor. I was so confused. I knew Trevor was too because he looked at me in a questioning way. I shrugged my shoulders and I sat down in the open seat next to him.  

"Thanks for joining us, Lily," Pat said. 

"Yeah, of course," I said nodding my head. 

"Can I ask what this is about?" Trevor asked confused. 

"So, there is a lot of controversy around the two of you," Pat said. 

"As you can understand we don't see NHL players dating each other too often. Nothing against it but there is a lot of publicity around the two of you. Trevor is a top young player in the league who shows a lot of talent and Lily is the first female NHL player which has its own news surrounding that." Sammy said. 

"Okay. And?" I asked confused. 

"Your relationship is being followed by a lot of eyes right now. NHL fans, fans of Lily in general or Trevor in general, the news....etc." Pat replied. 

"Can you guys just spit it out? What about us dating?" Trevor asked getting annoyed. 

"We called you both here because we worried about the relationship," Sammy replied to Trevor. 

"Why?" Trevor asked. 

"There is a lot at risk if things were to end badly," Sammy said to us. 

"So what do you want from us? Do you want us to break up or something?" I asked getting mad. 

"Not necessarily. We need to know that if things ended between the two of you, you both could handle being professional and playing on the same team together. The rule of not dating coworkers is in place for many companies for that reason so we need to know that if it ended you guys could still work as teammates." Coach said. 

"I'm sorry but this feels a little invasive?" Trevor said getting angry. Without looking I moved my hand around until I found his. It was in a fist on his lap. I placed my hand on him and I felt his fist slowly release before his hand intertwined with mine. 

"We need to look out for the team in the long wrong and I am sorry if this offends you but it needs to be done. There is too much at risk if things go ugly with this little affair." The GM said getting mad. 

"Listen I respect you bringing us here and trying to ensure a working team. I agree that if Trevor and I were to ever break up, I would still be his teammate and act professionally. But all I ask is that this be the only conversation about my relationship. We keep everything appropriate, we only have good publicity surrounding us and we individually have a huge following but together have a giant following that will only benefit the team. Now is there anything else we need to discuss or am I free to head to the locker room?" I asked in a stern voice. 

"Yes, you are free." The GM replied. 

"Thank you. Have a nice day." I said abruptly standing up and heading right for the door. I could hear Trevor say something but I was so angry I have no idea what he actually said. I kept walking even though I could hear Trevor calling my name. I made it into my locker room and I started pacing. I heard the door open. 

"Babe." I heard Trevor call me but I didn't look up until I felt his hands on my face gently forcing me to look into his eyes. "Are you okay?" He asked me as I felt his thumb rub my cheek softly. 

"I'm fucking pissed off," I said shaking my head. "If I was a boy they would not be having this conversation, it's because I am a girl that they care so much. Come on, you know that they were talking to me in that meeting. 'Keep my emotions together, working professionally.'" I said showing quotes with my fingers. "I mean come on, that is sexist bullshit thinking that if we broke up I would not be able to handle working with you. Like what the actual fuck." I said throwing my hands up in the air. 

"Look, I don't understand how you feel because I am not a girl and I do not face those stereotypes, but I told them that they should not have assumed that we could not handle being professional. Too much work has been put into our careers to risk them for a breakup. You are the bravest girl I have ever met and when you get mad like that, you are sexy as hell. It's two of the reasons I like you so much." He said making me smile. 

"You know you are a really great boyfriend and best friend," I told him making him smile. 

"Are you complimenting me?" Trevor asked shocked. 

"Now I wish I didn't," I said making us laugh. 

"First I was flattered and now I am hurt. Gosh, what kind of girlfriend are you?" He asked me. 

"The kind that wants her boyfriend to stop talking and kiss her," I said with a smirk. 

"I can definitely be that boyfriend." He said before smashing his lips into mine. I think kisses like these are my favorite. Not lust-filled and not meaningless. So much passion that it makes my heart want to explode. He slowly pulled apart, and I felt myself trying to catch my breath as a blush appeared on my face. "I love that I can make you blush like this." He said kissing my forehead. "You ready for practice?" He said pulling his hands away from my face. 

"Unfortunately,"  I said sighing. 

"Come on let's go." He said as he smacked my ass before smirking at me and running out the door.

"I shook my head before following him.