Three

LIFE WAS GOOD. SCHOOL HAD ENDED AND SUMMER HAD BEGUN. I knew I would miss seeing my friends every day, I already missed them. But we'd be okay. It wouldn't be as tough as my mind wanted to believe. Everything would be fine and we'd see each other over the summer... If we decided to come back earlier than we planned.

Even though I knew I would feel a little miserable without my friends, there was a rush of adrenaline in my veins. I absolutely adored going to our lake house. It was a way for us to stop being on our phones and enjoy nature.

My brothers didn't like it as much as I did, but I was good at getting them to go out. Last summer, they made friends there, too. This time, it would be different. We would all have fun. We needed it. Or so I hoped.

While I was packing my bags, August by Taylor Swift echoed in my room. I loved Taylor Swift and knew a lot of her songs, however, I wasn't a Swiftie. Not like my brother, anyway. That was his deepest secret and I didn't repeat it. When he'd have a girlfriend, I'd use that information. Any girl would fall in love with a guy that was a swiftie. He didn't see it that way, he thought the future girl would just make fun of him. She probably would have. And her heart would have been filled with warmth at the same time.

"Knock knock," my stepmother said, opening my door. I turned and smiled as I saw who was standing behind her.

"We leave in ten minutes, be ready," she warned. I nodded firmly before dropping my bag and shaking my head.

"I knew you guys wouldn't last another minute without me." My hands were on my hips as Juliette and Margot marched inside my room. They closed the door behind me, Juliette rushing to my bed.

"Get over yourself," she whispered in that stone-cold voice. I didn't take it personally, I knew she was sad I was going. It was the same thing every summer. If I had been in her shoes, I would have felt the same way.

I could sense that she was worried about me too. Ever since the accident, it seemed like everybody thought I was a broken bird who couldn't spread its own wings. 

"I hope you know we'll call you, your boy situation is about to change!" Margot winked, tossing her bag at me. I rolled my eyes and damned Juliette. Why did she tell her? I wasn't going to hear to end of it until next year. Fuck.

I opened her bag to find about a hundred dollars of alcohol in there. My eyes almost popped out of their sockets as I stared at my friends.

"You know I am not gonna drink that, right?" I asked, slowly panicking. My parents didn't go into my room, but if my brothers did and saw the bottles, I'd have been dead.

"I know, but he will." Juliette threw me a pillow and giggled. I didn't find it funny at all. Okay, maybe just a little bit.

That guy wouldn't drink all those bottles. The simple reason was that decided that I was going to hide them and give them back to Margot at the beginning of next semester. Besides, I hated vodka.

"Have you packed your sexy underwear?" Juliette bolted, walking to my dresser. She opened the doors and I wanted to kill her as she picked up almost all of them and threw them at me.

"Guys! I am not gonna have sex with him!" I balked. Margot picked them up and carefully put them in one of my bags.

"Maybe not, maybe yes. I guess we'll see and-" She stopped talking as she put a condom in there too. My jaw dropped.

"Just for precaution. Better safe than sorry!" She joined Juliette on my bed and I couldn't help but laugh. They were good friends, kind of.

Although, I didn't want to think about having sex. I knew I would deeply enjoy it. I knew that once I'd done it, I would always want to do it. Especially if it was with someone I trusted and loved. That was the way I wanted it to be. I didn't want a summer hook-up and act as if it happened but it didn't mean anything. Let alone play the game and get my heart broken on the way. That wasn't the plan and it wouldn't happen. I made myself a promise I intended to keep.