Chapter one

A red fox felt the car slow before the other people did. He whimpered. Everyone was smelling angry, but the only scent that smelled comforting was the urgent green smells wafting from the forest. Blades of sunlight like gold glass stabbed down on the car window. The smell of metal tickled the fox's nose and he sneezed. The man at the front leather seat, reached forward and grabbed the fox by the scruff. What had he done wrong?? Maybe it was because he chewed through the wires of the small metal box with lots of knobs and switches. He could still feel the sting of the man's smack on his flank. His golden eyes switched to the man, who had the loose skin of the fox's neck held tightly between his fingers. There was one more person, a teenage girl who had strawberry-blonde hair. She locked her fingers with his head, squeezing it, but not to tightly. "I'm sorry." She said, tears flowing down her cheeks. "It had to be like this." Her over sized pale blue shirt hung over her shoulders, and she wrenched away, arms crossed over her face. The red fox whimpered again. He was pulled out of the car, his nose unblocking as the smell of charred metal and oil wafted away like threads of smell. He struggled, and the man thumped him on the ground. His breath was driven out of him. As he stood up on shaky black legs, his orange-red  fur spiked up and he lashed his white-tipped tail. 'That was mean' He growled to the man. The man strode away, his hands clenched. The fox tried to follow him, his golden eyes sparkling in disbelief. He tried to climb into the front seat, claws slipping on the leather material. The man pushed the fox away, then shut the door, almost crushing the fox's whisker. As the man started the engine, the fox tried again to climb up, but the man grew frustrated and shoved him away. "STAY!" He yelled. The fox shrunk against the web of grass matting the ground. He placed a cautious white paw closer to him. The man's car started rumbling, like a rumbling warning. Stay here. It ordered. The fox shrunk back even farther. But to his horror and sadness, the car roared to life and drove off. 'No! what is happening?'He rose to his paws and dashed after the huge car, his black paws flying over the stony ground. His body felt like liquid fire. As he gained speed, he didn't see the huge silver stone there. 

His paw caught on the rock,

And he tumbled to the ground, pain throbbing against his left paw. He struggled to stand, lost his footing, and fell to the ground, muzzle lain against the cold stone floor. A single thought echoed in his mind. He thought he had been loved. A single painful thought fluttered in his mind as the car drove away in a cloud of dust. Tears filled his eyes.

'I thought I was a good dog..'