CHAPTER 5: TUMULTUS

Sullyoon was pushed into an entirely different room. It was an enclosed space. Like a cage.

There were even steel bars on one of the sides. It overlooked a series of something that looked like finely cut hedges, decorated with huge ornaments that looked like a mix of large candy sculptures and hypnotic patterns.

Almost like an entwurf to a contemporary art piece.

But, inside the room, there was nothing but a small table and a shabby TV.

It was turned on, and she could see the commentator.
He was about to explain everything.
"Welcome, contestants, to the second last round of the Utopia games. This one will be the most difficult by far, and expect a lot of injury to come. In a moment, you will be sent into our large-scale maze. Your objective is to reach the middle. The last person to reach the middle will be eliminated. Also, be quick and aware; the maze gradually collapses from the outside in. Don't get lost, or else you might find that the floor suddenly collapses under you."

He clapped his hands.

"However, the most dangerous part, is not the maze itself. In fact, it is you guys. You are each given a knife, placed on the table in your rooms. You will all go into the maze at the same time, but at different points. In there, you will be fighting for yourself and yourself only. You are allowed to kill another person. If one person dies, the two are automatically advanced to the last round, so choose your target carefully. And, that just about concludes it for you. There is one more thing, but I'll let you figure that out for yourself while you're in there."

He finished, smiled, and the TV turned off.

The cell wall sunk into the ground, and Sullyoon picked up the knife from the table, unsheathing it, and holding it steady in her hand.

She walked forwards, into the maze.

...

Sullyoon didn't know how long it had been. Fifteen minutes? Thirty minutes? An hour? She lost track a long time ago.

All she had been doing was jogging around in the general direction of the centre, yet she didn't know for sure.

But one thing she did know for sure, was that the maze was much, much, much bigger than she had expected.

She rounded the corner.
But it was a dead end.

She turned to face the way back, but instead was met with a wall.
That wasn't there before.

She looked back to the dead end.
Now there was a path. The wall was gone.

Did the maze move? How could it possibly move?

"What the..." she mumbled.

She walked through the path, looking back over her shoulder in caution.

But then, she heard something.
It sounded like footsteps, to her left.

She turned, and what she saw made her heart drop.
There was Lily.
And she was staring straight at her.

"Sullyoon..." she said.
Lily started running forwards, gaining on Sullyoon.

Sullyoon turned and ran away, begging her legs to go faster. She ran with all her might.

Lily was going to kill her, she was sure of it.

"No, no- no-" she panted.

She glanced behind her.
Lily had her blade poised up in the air, and her face was fully focused.

"Come here, Sullyoon, and fight me!" Lily said.

Sullyoon ignored her, dashing towards an open passageway.
But something was off.
A random wall was sliding up from the ground.