Chapter 3: Cross My Heart

"You're staying here." My voice remained firm as I picked up the small tattered backpack and flung it over my shoulders.

"No."

I halted, staring into her blue eyes and wrinkled brow. It was very faint, but I thought I could almost see the slight etch of the scar that marred her right eye from that accident all those years ago. I wondered if she noticed it, or if it faded along with the memories. I could only hope for the latter.

"Clay..." I tried to reason with her but was immediately cut short.

"No!" She crossed her arms. "I'm coming! Dad said to stick together, so I'm coming!"

A soft sigh escaped my lips.

She was right, of course. But every inch of me felt that this shadow man was nothing but trouble. But ultimately, I gave in.

"Alright, fine." I bended slightly and grabbed her by the shoulders. "But you have to promise to run as quick as you can if things go wrong, okay?"

She pouted her lip and stuck out her pinky.

"Fine. I promise"

I wrapped my digit around hers, and then immediately grabbed her hand.

"Let's go."

Again, I led us through the back alleys and dark corners, stopping only when I reached the alley across the street from the convenience store. The one that I... went to yesterday. I couldn't bring myself to say robbed. It sounded so vulgar and calloused when all I was trying to do was survive.

We waited.

And waited.

"Is he coming?" Clayra was sitting now against the alley wall, her knees tucked up next to her chin.

I furrowed my brow. Had I got it wrong? Was this not the place he meant?

I scoffed. It was all so ridiculous anyway. Why should I wait for a man who came out of nowhere, professing to have hidden knowledge.

"You know what, let's just go. I don't think he's..."

"Sorry for the delay." I turned around, all of a sudden coming face to face with the shadow man. He straightened his suit jacket. "I had a last little bit of... business... to attend to."

I instinctively backed up to cover Clayra and protect her from the man in front of us, but in silent defiance she wiggled her way out and stood next to me, side by side, her arms crossed to face him.

Sick of waiting, I immediately pressed for answers. "Who are you shadow man?"

He cocked his head slightly. "You know, I actually quite like that. Shadow Man. It has a nice ring to it, don't you think?" His smile scrunched up the scar on the side of his face, a grotesque picture that deeply contrasted the emotion he was trying to portray.

I squinted at him, gripping my sisters crossed arm slightly.

He cleared his throat. "No, but my name is the least important thing right now wouldn't you say?" He broke his gaze from us and looked across the street to the open convenience mart. "I'm assuming you know why I wanted to meet you here?"

"I'd assume it's because you saw me." I kept my voice low, projecting as much ferocity as I could.

"But it's so much more than that!" He whirled around to face us. "I had an epiphany my dear boy! A total and complete vision of what the future held, and it was splendid!"

I pursed my lips. He was speaking in nonsense.

"You see, I think we can help each other."

My head cocked back slightly at the suggestion.