Chapter 53: The Whiteflame

Voices were a strange concept.

Well, maybe it wasn't the voices that were strange: it was her ears that were strange.

A year ago, they weren't even ears: they were just ornamental shapes in her flames that added to the illusion of her overall humanlike appearance.

But now, it seemed like the voices were coming to her through those ears, and she was twisting her flames around as they were an actual head with actual eyes that had to be pointed in the right direction to see where the voice had come from.

"What's wrong, dear?" the voice had asked.

It had come from Alloria Rosa. There was a particular tone to the voice, and Kithana could feel it trying to elicit a specific reaction inside her... heart?

Alloria Rosa cared about her.

Kithana looked down. "I burnt these flowers," she said. Was that the right tone? It didn't sound like she was sad about it. She was sad about it, wasn't she? Then why didn't she sound sad. She knew what a sad voice should sound like, but it was hard to get it right.

"But, they're back now," Alloria Rosa said, "So everything's fine. There's no need to worry."

"I wasn't paying attention," Kithana said, "It was an accident. I didn't think they would burn, because your magic is here."

"I know," Alloria Rosa said. That was a gentle, calming tone: she wanted Kithana to feel comfortable.

She did feel comfortable.

"I underestimated your magic," Alloria Rosa continued, "Fire elementals are usually intense and aggressive and shortsighted. They burn hot and fast, then move on to the next flammable thing.

"You're more deliberate and wary, but your flame is just as intense under the right situations."

"I'm sorry," Kithana said, "I usually control it better."

Alloria Rosa's face took on a very particular set of expressive qualities, but it was hard to read. She seemed very kind and understanding, but it also seemed like her eyes were cutting right into and through Kithana with an intensity she rarely felt.

" 'Control'," the nymph queen said, "I bet that's a word you're used to hearing. You have to control yourself, control your magic, or the world around you burns. It must be exhausting."

Kithana didn't know what to say. "I..." she hesitated, "I don't know. But, I do wish I didn't have to worry about burning things."

The nymph queen laughed a light laugh. It sounded a lot like Callyndia's laugh: light and gentle, and a little infectious. Most nymphs seemed to laugh that way. Kithana had tried to mimic it before, but she never seemed to be able to tell the right moment to do it.

"Why are you laughing?" Kithana asked, "Am I funny? Because I don't understand?"

"A little," Alloria Rosa said, "But mostly, it's because... well, it all feels so familiar to me."

"What feels familiar?" Kithana asked.

" 'Control'," Alloria Rosa answered, "They've always said it to me too. I can't walk into a human town without someone telling me I'm causing trouble, that I'm a menace, that men are going to act stupid because I walked by. Like it's my fault. It's why I stay here in the forest, with only other fairies around me."

"But, it is my fault," Kithana said, "I really do burn things I touch."

Alloria Rosa bit her lip. "Yes, it was a bit of a limited metaphor," she said, "But..." She sighed. "Well, perhaps you don't have to burn things you touch."