A Day of Sorrow, Chapter 2

Carnade Shores

The Republic of Ilasha

Riverin

June 15, 4182 A.D.

5:32 A.M.

Carnade ran his blade across Afrin's, whipping it forward and striking his chest. Afrin stepped back, grunting and raising his shield. He eyed Carnade as they circled one another. Carnade jolted forward, sidestepping as Afrin swung, sliding across the ground and leg sweeping his son. Afrin's face crashed into the sand, spitting it free as he pushed himself to his feet.

Afrin moved toward Carnade, jabbing his training blade at him. Carnade ducked the weapon and smashed his body into Afrin's shield. He pushed Afrin's shield arm aside and smashed his forehead into his son's face. Afrin stepped back, grabbing his nose as blood dribbled onto the sand.

"This isn't your first time training. Your stance is good yet I still seem to always break through it. What's with that?" Carnade shouted.

"You're stronger than I am. I couldn't force you back from that last attack," Afrin said.

"You're right, I am stronger. You're weak compared to every one around you, which means you need to work twice as hard, if not three times as hard as everyone else. You need to be faster, stronger, and better than all your peers. If you can't defeat me, how do you hope to survive the soul devourers?"

"Ha, a soul devourer would be easier than you. You've killed so many of them."

"My eye is keen. Yours is not. They're quicker than I am, and they're strong, so much stronger than me. Do you think I let their strength stop me? You need to be better," Carnade said.

"But why am I weaker than everyone else? I swear Iris can lift more than I can and she's six. I'm double her age."

Carnade gritted his teeth. Afrin had never asked and nobody had ever brought it up, even if the truth was known among a few. It was something that his son couldn't know, not yet, and so a lie was the only answer.

"It is rare, and I've only heard of it a few times, but sometimes children of The Order, even if they carry the blood, don't bear the strength. It's been thousands of years since our origin and our blood is weakening generation by generation. Soon, the blood will dilute of power completely."

"Why isn't that on record? Why can't my peers know that?" Afrin asked.

"You aren't to say a thing... ever. Even with the blood of The Order, they'll put you with The Legion of Souls if they learn the truth. I've kept you on par with your class, but you need to get ahead of them. We've talked enough. Come at me," Carnade said.

"Yes, sir," Afrin said, taking a step forward. He exhaled a calming breath, watching Carnade, but waiting as to not make any rash moves. He was too slow for recklessness, unlike others with the blood of The Order.

When Afrin saw an opening, he thrusted his blade forward. Carnade met his sword with resistance. He smirked, his son parrying his blade to the side and ducking under his next attack. Blood still stained Afrin's face as he fought with intense concentration.

Every once in a while, Afrin's eyes would dart to the sides as Carnade had taught him, focusing on everything around. His awareness, it was everything, especially for a man born without speed and strength, and if he honed such a skill, no enemy could catch him off guard. It was an ability not even the soldiers of The Order were born with, and if Afrin mastered his perception, he'd surpass all of them. It was the reason Akroth's were so feared in combat, and even though they were born with the skill, it was just as possible for others to learn it.