Chapter 2: We Meet The Freaking President!!

(Hey everyone ^v^ so this chapter took a lot of work, I'm actually typing this right now at 5:00 in the morning, I've been up for a very long time >.< school's gonna suck in a few hours. Anyways, at the moment I'm kind of improvising, dialogue-wise because as I said, it's early in the morning and I don't have the episodes with me. So yeah, I'd appreciate it if you'd vote and follow and all that fun stuff. Thanks a lot! ~S)

"Woah." Was the first thing that came put of my mouth as we walked into the room. It was fancy all right, ornate golden paper weights and all. The scenic floor-to-ceiling were behind the desk of a white, middle-aged man who looked very tired. 'So this is the president...' I thought to myself. I always thought that the United States was this big-ass superpower, rich and picking fights with everybody; but this guy didn't look strong at all. 'I could probably kick him in the throat and it'd be finished.'

"Please, sit down." The captain gestures to two plush chairs, red and identical. I crossed in front of Near and sat down, sighing quietly in relief; those chairs were pretty damn comfortable.

Near, however, went and sat down on a different chair, the one in for corner near the enormous American flag. "Good afternoon, agents. Now, let's get down to the matter at hand, what's our issue?" The president asked. Giovanni stepped forward and set down the silver briefcase, opening it to reveal several disks.

"This is all the information we have on the mass murderer known as Kira. The weapon he's currently using to commit all these murders is called a Death Note. If a name is written in this notebook, that person will die. It is unknown exactly how these victims are killed by simply having their names written down, but a common method of death and is an almost signature move of Kira's is a heart attack." Near shifted in his chair, pulling a leg up onto it and twirling a piece of his hair.

The president blinked at him, then looked to the Captain. "If this is all accurate, then this is a very important issue. However, if I may ask, who are they?" He asked, gesturing towards Near and I.

"Near and Stray are... Prodigies, in a sort, sir. Their deductive and reasoning skills could rival those of anyone, and they were both raised to succeed L." I bit the inside of my cheek a little. 'They don't know he's dead' I mused internally. 'No one knows that L is dead.'

"While I'm flattered by the description, Captain, we do have a major problem on our hands. Obviously just having two smart pants and a couple agents backing us isn't going to be enough to face Kira. We have reason to believe that the majority of Japan's police force is under the control of Kira, whether voluntary or not. We're going to need forces, people, if you will, to fight back." I claimed. It made sense, to me at least. I mean, sure, we did have Halle and Giovanni and Rester and several other FBI and CIA agents, but in a gunfight, or against the Death Note, we wouldn't stand much of a chance.

The thought of the Death Note in itself was interesting and terrifying all at the same time. The idea that someone could be killed just by writing their name down was astounding. How did that work? Was something supernatural at play here?

The conversation rushed around me, but I paid no attention. I actually became conscious of my surroundings when I realized we were pulling up in front if the private airspace where the private jet we took to come to America rested on the Tarmac.

"In other words it's very suspicious that Light Yagami just so happened to attempt to contact Misa Amane immediately after meeting with L. This leads me to believe that Misa is the second Kira; able to kill without knowing a person's name. Furthermore- Stray, are you even listening?"

"Huh?" I snapped out of my stupor and looked at Near, who appeared to have been talking for a very long time and had just now realized I hadn't been paying attention. He sighed and shook his head. "Never mind. We'll discuss it later. In the meantime I'd appreciate it if you would try to pay attention, there could be information we're overlooking. This is where you come in."

I nodded, biting my lip. "Right. Sorry, I've been out of it today." He nodded, getting out at the same time I did. "Right. In the future I would recommend staying on your medication. It seems to be working to improve your lack of an attention span."

I nodded again and we all walked onto the plane. It was relatively luxurious inside the tin can. Nice leather seats, a minibar, a large magnetic chess board that somehow managed to keep all the pieces on the board but were effortless to lift or move them.

I sat down on one of the couches and dug my iPod out of the side pocket. I adjusted the seat belt so it was a bit looser around my body and not cutting off the circulation to my lower body. Popping my headphones in, I hit shuffle, closed my eyes and leaned my head back. I wasn't the biggest fan of takeoffs and landings in planes, the pressure change drove me crazy, especially when my ears would pop painfully and wouldn't un-pop, so my already shitty hearing would be even worse. But with music, it calmed me, and somehow then headphones lessened how badly my ears popped and how much it would hurt.

I was nearly three songs in after take off when I felt the cushions sink beside me, and I opened my eye a slit to see Near, fiddling with all the buttons and knobs of this model airplane, that looked a little banged up and I knew had belonged to him a while since it was a fact that Near was rough on toys and complicated air plane models were no exception.

"...musi...ry...lo..." I pulled one of my headphones out, and turned to face Near. "What?"
"Your music, it's very loud. I can hear it through coming out your headphones."

"Oh, sorry." I turned the volume down a few notches. "Better?"
He made a humming sound that I wasn't sure if it was a thinking noise or a noise of agreement. "Could I...Could I listen as well?"

I raised my eyebrow, but passed him the opposite headphone so we could listen to it whilst still sitting next to each other. I leaned my head back and closed my eyes again.

"I know this song. Or at least the tune of it. You hum it very often." Near murmured pensively, I could hear him tilting the plane in another angle. "Mmm." I hummed tiredly. It had been a long day, and the calm and echoing music was making me sleepy, so I let the sounds take me away quietly, and fell into a calm and restful sleep.

(A/N yay new chapter! I'm hoping I wrote Near a bit better this time, I know he does care about his squad, so I tried to show it a little. I just wanted to also say thank you for the votes, and holy crap, 14 views already! I hope you and many others enjoy my story.

I've been listening to 'Medicine' by The 1975 a lot lately, so that's probably what Near and Stray were listening to. Go check it out if you wanna get the feel of what I was trying to describe. Or just check it out because it's a bomb-ass song! Okay, enough typing, I will see you all in the next chapter and until then have a lovely life. ~S)