Chapter 3: Sleepless Nights and Soup-filled Conversations

*S' POV*

"...wake up..." The quiet voice filtered through my sleep-addled brain. I made some kind of noise in hopes that the voice would let me get back to sleep, but I then felt a hand tapping my shoulder and I was forced to open my eyes. "Mmm?" I murmured.

"Ah, you're awake. Good. My shoulder's fallen asleep and I've been unable to wake you for the past ten minutes."

I jolted awake then; rubbing my eyes and corners of my mouth frantically. My chest tightened in panic. "A-ah, I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to-"

Near held up a hand, stopping me. "It's fine. You were tired, and you didn't drool on me either. I fell asleep as well." I had noticed that he was still slowly blinking a bit and his eyes were droopy. It was strange to think that Near slept. I always thought of him as barely human, so it was interesting to see a more human side of him. I felt the more time I spent with him, the more I found out about him.

"In any case, we should get back to headquarters; it's already late out." I glanced out the window and nodded. The sky was getting darker out, as far as I could see through the window. I stood up, slowly as to not stress my joints, as they got sore often, especially if I got up too quickly. I also got really dizzy when I stood up too fast, but I think that's something that happens with everyone.

I felt a tug on my right ear and glanced down to see my iPod and headphones still plugged in. I picked it up and exited the jet, Near trailing behind me.

The ride back to the SPK headquarters was quiet and uneventful, the only sounds were my quiet tapping to the beat of some song I can't quite remember the name of anymore, and Near fiddling with his toys.

***

'Ugh, I'm exhausted.' I groaned internally as I flopped down onto my bed, the white duvet cover fluffy and cool against my skin. I sighed and rolled onto my back, staring at my ceiling. Today had been really draining, and I was glad to be back. Don't get me wrong, I love detective work, but I'm better at staying behind in HQ. It's all I'm really good for to be honest.

'I probably could've handled Near better.' I sighed and covered my face with my pillow. 'I can't believe I fell asleep on him... How embarrassing.' Feeling the pull on my eyelids, I removed the pillow, rolled onto my stomach and sliding myself under the duvet. It wasn't very long before I drifted away.

***
I didn't stay asleep for long, though. I woke up, kicking and screaming and sweating like a waterfall. The tightness in my chest was back, but this time it was worse. It hurt, and I clutched the spot near my heart, fighting to get my breath back.

Twenty minutes later, I had begun to calm down. My throat was sore from yelling, and my hands wouldn't stop shaking, but I slowly detangled my legs from the duvet and wrapped it around my shoulders. My breaths came in as slow and as deep as I could manage, and I tried not to think about what my dream had been about.

It was no use though, violent flashbacks of especially horrific scenes kept forcing themselves into my brain. It made my heart ache, for Mello, for the cold yet secure Wammy's, for Nadia, who for all I knew was travelling the world, having fun without me.

My breathing picked up again and I knew that I would not be able to calm myself down on willpower alone. I'd need something else.

Gathering the duvet around me like a cape, I got out of bed and slowly made my to the kitchen.

It was quiet and dark, save for a few lights flickering from the main room. Strangely enough, there was a small amount of light shining from the kitchen and dining area too. I wondered if someone had forgotten to turn off the lights before leaving.