14 | Food, family and jimmy choos

Rhys Hawking

I loved my family, I did. But I knew I'd be badgered this Thanksgiving in two ways. One by my father who is a pest about my dynastic plans and my mother who wants me to settle.

I'd never brought a girl home to them. My brother had introduced several girlfriends. He's fresh out of college and still dating the same girl from freshman year. If anyone will be badgered it would be him and Lydia.

Driving down the roads of Brookeville felt weird. This is where I grew up but yet I never felt more disconnected. I graduated college a year early as I was already working my way up during those years. I never made it back home, I went straight for the city.

I mostly did it to avoid my father and his plans for me. He was proud of what I'd done on my own but I still owed everything to my family. How it always was, but Adira.

She was always an escape, even if she couldn't be mine. She was my best friend and the only woman who'd get a speck of my attention. I hated Jace for how he was with her. So when he gave me his drunk confession on Kate.

I wouldn't let it happen. I couldn't just swallow it down and act like it was nothing. I was in love with Adira the second I saw her but I had to put those emotions aside to tell her the truth. I didn't want it to be so she'd run into my arms. I let her choose her own decisions, I'd always be here for her.

Even if she found another man besides me. I'd hold her hand through the heartbreak because I loved her. I always just wanted her to look at me and see it, then she did. The moment I've been waiting for the past eight years.

As I reached the secluded driveway I dreaded making it up to those front steps. Holidays never went smooth sailing when we were all under one roof.

I'm just glad Adira wouldn't have to be here for it, that she doesn't know our family business. My mother was always there for her children, she didn't care about her role within the family. She just cares about her two sons. My father cared about us but put his role first, one that he presumed me to take up.

It was a life that Adira hadn't been introduced to. Sure she'd met my mother a handful of times on parent's weekends and game days. But not my father, he was a private man for his safety.

The gates opened and security stood their ground as I pulled the car in front. Stepping out a man took my keys and I scrapped my shoes dragging them down the cobblestone.

The doors open for me and as I step inside I hear my mother laughing about something in the other room with guests. Thanksgiving was a holiday she loved to host.

"Mr.Hawking" My father's right-hand man exited the living room to see me. Arik was a few years older than me, but his company was always one I enjoyed.

"Arik, is my father brew-ding with my arrival?" He nods sighing as he turns to peak back in the room.

"You've been avoiding your duties, Rhys? I don't think he's quite pleased" I take the glass of scotch from his hand and down it, today would be long. Tomorrow would be even longer with a hangover.

"I have a life in New York I'm not giving that up, Porter is here for a reason?" I hear a slight gasp and look to see my mother in eyeshots. Her face brightens as she spots me and excuses herself from the unknown couple she was conversing with.