Sweet Escape: Chapter 2

"Honey, are you done?" my mother asked from downstairs.

"Just a sec." I answered, quiet enough not for her to hear.

I was too busy reminiscing memories I had in this room, this house, Florida. Some of which I didn't want to remember. I just can't believe we're leaving. I've always imagined my life here, with my tan and gorgeous kids, living beside the beach.

I know it's for the best, bringing our family together. But honestly, I'd rather stay in Florida than live with my bratty sister. She hated me since she and my dad moved to California for no apparent reason. So being the best, and most mature sister in the universe, I hated her back. Story of our lives.

My dad hasn't always been the best father figure. When we were all living here in Florida, he always got home late. The only time we got to see him was in the morning, but he usually prefers to sleep. He worked in the weekends- yes, even in Sundays. But even if he wasn't the best father ever, he still spoiled us all out. He was ultra, mega rich. So he moved to California with Laura and lived their out-of-the-movie lives.

"I can't believe it either," my mother sighed, surprisingly appearing behind me and twirling the tip of my hair.

She has always sensed what I was feeling, which always forced me to open up to her about everything. She has basically always been a great mother to both Laura and I.

I looked at her, seeing her teary eyed and giving a strong smile. Her brown, wavy hair was almost identical to mine, but dad's genes were all up on my hair which gave me those light streaks. I had weird eyes, though. People say it's stunning, but I find my big, brown, goldish eyes really weird.

"Yeah," was all I managed to say, with my mixed emotions all tangled up in my head.

She grabbed two boxes on top of my bed, "Come on, the truck will be here any minute."

"No, it's okay. I can handle it, mom." I said trying to get the boxes from her.

She shook head, "I insist." she answered while stepping out of the room, giving a quick, sad glance.

I stood in my room for a long time, imagining what my life would be like in a new city. I'm going to have the time of my life, forget about the past and start with a new beginning.

The truck came earlier as expected and I gave my final look at the house. We're not selling it yet, so this would be the last time I'll ever see this memorable place for a long time. Our furniture were also still in the house. We needed a truck because mom couldn't let her great grandmother's wardrobe dresser and bookshelf be left alone in the house. My trophies on cross country track, photo albums and all the other boxes of memorabilia were also got by the truck.

We arrived at the airport and we were right on time. As soon as we got to the terminal and finished all those long airport business, it was already time for our departure. With my dad being rich as heaven, we both got first class tickets.

As we went inside our airplane, we arrived seeing massive luxury seats and small television screens on the back of each seat, just slightly above the eating tray table. I guess I wouldn't mind five and a half hours of doing "nothing".

As we settled in our oh-so comfortable seats, my mom slept instantly. She deserves five hours of deep sleep considering her extensive sleepless nights, worrying if moving in was a very bad idea. I told her it was, but I guess she wouldn't be listening because of her endless ranting on how my dad snores too loud while sleeping, at how he eats the white egg parts first before chugging down the yolk all at once, at how he sips the soup too loudly, at how he misses too many family occassions, and a whole lot more you wouldn't want to know. Believe me, majority of those are very very disturbing.