Chapter Two: Look Who's Back

Chancellor Paige walked through the cobblestone rubble of what used to be The Maze, Part I of The Wicked Trials. WICKED's base had been destroyed to nothing less than dust, and it seems like Paige is one of the few people left alive.

"Wow", said Paige to herself, "what have I gotten myself into?"

She took a seat on a destroyed piece of cobble, and flipped her hair out of her face. She sighed a great big sigh. She looked around her, at all of the destruction, and tried to find some peace within the destruction. When she realized that there was no peace to be found, she trekked on through the destruction. She was looking for something, something that seemed impossible to find.

The Chancellor was looking for survivors of the destruction of the Maze. She had found at least ten bodies, but none of them alive. She had received quite a shock when she saw a boy of about 15 years old lying with his eyes open, but when she reached where he had lie, his eyes were glazed, and he was as dead as his fellow Gladers who were left in the rubble.

One hour later, Paige was almost ready to head back to her temporary home until as many WICKED survivors have been found that will be able to work again. She found herself at the end of the Maze, where the cracked Flat-Trans lay on the ground beside something that she could not make out from afar. She decided to get a closer look at what was on the ground beside the Flat-Trans.

When she reached the wall, she looked down and a little hope filled her body. That object that she was staring at was a bloodied hand. Could this be a survivor? She moved the tiny stones that covered where the body should be. Once all the stones had been removed, Chancellor Paige could not believe her eyes.

She was staring at a dead version of Teresa, the female form of Thomas, who had just blown WICKED apart. He didn't know what WICKED really was, and if Teresa was alive, WICKED could once and for all prove to be good.

Chancellor Paige reached for Teresa's neck, just below her jawbone, where she attempted to take her pulse. When she didn't feel the usual pattern of bum bum, bum bum  that represented a beating and well taken care of heart, she became a little nervous. She adjusted her hand position several times, but could find the steady beating of her pulse. 

Chancellor Paige instantly felt deflated of all hope whatsoever. She let go of Teresa's head, and let her down gently. She turned around, and walked towards where she had once stood, looking for some form of life by that destroyed Flat-Trans. She began her long journey back to her temporary home, leaving all hope behind.

But as she was leaving, she heard a rustling behind her. Paige ignored it, but could not ignore the tapping on her shoulder that soon followed the noise. She turned around, and saw a dazed looking Teresa standing before her. 

"Teresa!", exclaimed Chancellor Paige, "you are alive!"

"I know, but where am I? Where's Thomas?" said Teresa, a little bit confused sounding.

"I'll tell you later. Right now, I have got to get you somewhere safe." replied Paige.

"Bu––"

"Just trust me", interrupted Paige, "everything will make sense in the end. And soon enough, you will find out why we say what we always say."

"What do you always say?" asked Teresa

"WICKED is good."