Chapter I ~ ᛖ (Ehwaz) - Fight Or Flight

____

____

Panicked, filled to the brim with despair & terrified to the bone I ran around the seemingly abandoned vampire cave at Hudson's Bluff, the echoes of my frantic footsteps paired with my dreadful cries for help wandering back & forth between the high jagged walls of the cliff. Cries carrying a certain name that I screamed into the cold air over & over again, hoping for a response in any shape or form:

" Dwayne! "

Nothing. Nothing & no one would answer me. Yet that most certainly did not stop me from trying again. 

" Dwayne! Please answer me! Are you there?? Please...", I felt a chocked sob crawl up my throat whenever my lips formed his name, " I'm scared...
So scared... "

The silence surrounding me remained direful, uncaring, causing my heart to drop even deeper. Where was he, & why had he left in the first place? Had he already found out about what happened between David & me & as a result had chosen to abandon me? If such was the case, I could not blame him even in the slightest. This was betrayal in it's cruelest, most malicious form. What I had done to him... What I had done with David; my very own reasons for committing to such a horrendous act eluding me entirely. Why would I deliberately hurt the one soul that meant the absolute world to me & I loved on a level so deeply, sincerely, that it made me question the validity of any other affection I'd ever felt towards someone else in the past? Just what incomprehensible kind of force had taken hold of me & numbed my sense of morality, had driven me to commit the perhaps worst of crimes regarding love & trust between two people?

Moreover, why did I remember so very little about something about an event no older than a few hours at best, perhaps less? Why required my brain so much time to recollect the memories, & why did I suddenly feel so... estranged from the world around me? 

"  ...Dwayne... Answer me. I'm begging you... answer me...", I whispered as I continued my clearly futile search, arms tightly wrapped around my own frame. My thin summer dress barely managed to keep me warm as it was still wet & covered in blood from the incident with Dwayne & the dead crows in the ocean.
" I never meant to do this... I never would have done this...  You know me... You know I love you! "

...or did he?

With a new surge of tears distorting my vision I eyed the bite marks on my wrist, a subtle tremor residing in my lips. Those had to be David's doing, I was sure of it. Not a single memory concerning the possibility of his fangs piercing my flesh would bless me with its presence yet, but something told me that sooner rather than later, I'd find the answers I craved. Right now, in this very moment, I only cared about one answer anyway.

" Where are you, Dwayne..? "
The tip of my index finger brushed across the purple-blue marks below my palm, sending an unpleasant tingle down my arm. I had almost forgotten about the significance of this mark right here, the dreadful meaning behind it. What it meant for me & my life; all the changes that would inevitably follow as a consequence. If all the stories about vampires spoke the truth... I too would be a vampire soon.